Rosie is Limping

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 am

It sounds like she may have a uri. Do you have any good antibiotics?

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 am

I don't no, Purdie used up the last with her UTI. Do you think it is likely to be a URI rather than her heart? She doesn't have any other of the symptoms. The lasix has cleared her up for now but I still want to take her in to see what is going on inside, her heart and lungs. Hopefully a vet can say whether it is a URI as well, antibiotics wouldn't hurt.

The emergency vet is out at a farm atm but will be back within the hour, we're monitoring Rosie for now. She seems perfectly happy now she has had her lasix/furosemide but I'm worried about what caused it. I think a vetmedin/Pimobendan trial is definitely in order.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:18 am

Oh no. I'm sorry, Trick.

I'm sending all kinds of good thoughts your way!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 am

Poor little Rosey. By all means I would recommend an x-ray in the hopes of seeing what's happening. Mine had to go on the Vetmedin and she's doing much better with the combination of Vetmedin, Benazapril and Lasix.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:48 am

Giving the extra lasix was a good idea.

I do hope it will do the job.

Some pigs seem to need the maximum dose of lasix at 5mg/kg twice daily, but this is usually pretty rare and only when they're in CHF.

What dose is she on now?

Check her nose and lips to see if she's at all blue. She may need oxygen, which would be the one reason to get her to a vet. (If she has black skin you can't see this, of course).

I doubt xrays will tell you anything, but they might show excess fluid.
Last edited by Mum on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks ladies ^_^

We're still waiting to hear back from the emergency vet but Rosie is doing a lot better at the moment which is a great relief. Her breathing is back to normal and she's behaving just like normal really.

I'm going to ask the vet for vetmedin and trial her on that alongside her two normal meds. I'll ask about x-rays but I'm pretty sure the local vets still don't do x-rays without sedation, but good vet will do it when we see him which hopefully will be this week.

I'm all stressed out while Rosie is popcorning in her pen!

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:52 am

Mum: Her furosemide/lasix is at a concentration of 40mg/5ml - so that's 4mg in the 0.5ml that she gets twice daily. I've now upped it to 0.75ml (which was her original dose way back at the beginning) which is 6mg twice a day. She's 1.3kg (furiously doing maths here!) so that's 4.6mg/kg.

So pretty close to the maximum which isn't good. It is working but my concern is what has caused her to need the maximum dose again. Hopefully the vet will hand over the vetmedin and we can start her on the minimum dose of that as well.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:53 am

You can also add in, if you need to, a 3rd dose of lasix at midday.

I've never needed to do this, but for days like today it's useful to know.

Is she on 1mg/kg of lotensin twice daily?

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks Mum, I didn't know about the 3rd dose - that is a relief to know, if we need it.

She is on 1.25mg of lotensin twice daily so with her weight that's 0.96mg/kg. She's about 50-75g overweight again at the moment, she always puts weight on when something is wrong, so normally it is pretty much bang on 1mg/kg.

What is the dose for vetmedin/Pimobendan do you know? Hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree thinking that is the answer.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:03 am

If I recall correctly, the dose for Vetmedin is 1/4 of a 1.25mg pill twice daily.

Check, though, with Bugs Mom on this - she uses it.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:08 am

Searching the forum, that's what Bugs Mom uses, that's great.

Okay, I'm gonna demand for the vetmedin and try that and I'll keep the lasix on the higher side for now and start reducing it when I can. The lasix has definitely helped her in this short term, the only noises she's making now are all the grumblings about being lifted out and fussed over so much.

Thank you so much Mum, you've stopped me panicking quite so much, at least I know what to say to the vet now :)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:26 am

Yep. Every other day I'm splitting her pill. As for the Lasix-Lady Bug is on a daily dose of 0.3125 of 10ml/mg once a day. I've tried twice to get her off the Lasix and both times her breathing became very labored. I guess she's one of those forever on it. You might have the same problem, maybe not, but be prepared.