Rosie is Limping

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks Bugs Mom :) Rosie has never been able to come off the lasix either, it sounds like she is quite similar to Lady Bug.

The emergency vet still hasn't got in touch, I dread to think what kind of emergency it must have been at that farm. The vets opens anyway at 6pm so we're going to head along early and get her seen in about 45 minutes time. Rosie is so grumpy at us already, she's not going to be pleased, heh.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Back from the vets, and we got our Vetmedin! I'm feeling much more relaxed now, hah. The vet even cut the tablets into quarters for us which I thought was really nice of her, and we have a 2 week supply for now.

Rosie has some fluid in her right lung and the vet thought her heart was a little worse than it had been previously. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick, and I will keep her on the higher dose of lasix/furosemide for now to get rid of that fluid.

Rosie was very good at the vets as always, sexy legging in her box and munching her hay while demanding pettings :)

I'll keep you updated on her progress with the Vetmedin added to her usual drug cocktail - thank you so much to everyone here for the advice and support once again, I honestly don't know what I, and Rosie!, would do without you all :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Your vet is very cooperative!

I do hope this does the job.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Hoping the "cocktail" helps Rosie. Lady Bug says to tell Rosie that she has to be a good girl and take her meds (she doesn't like Lasix!) and she'll feel better.

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:39 pm

Very happy to see that Rosie is doing better,this board is a fantastic source of information!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Sending good thoughts for pretty Rosie! I hope the Vetmedin continues to help her.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Hee, I'm not sure if it was more the vet being cooperative or me being rather adamant about the whole situation. She was a new vet I hadn't seen before and I was a little forceful about getting these meds!

I think though when the vets open up Rosie's enormous vet file the vets tend to get a lot more cooperative with us :D

I shall tell Rosie Lady Bug! She is quite good at taking her meds but only if you do them the way she like them, feed them the way she likes them, and time them the way she likes them. I have a cage full of divas!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm

I really hope the Rosie feels better on her new med setup. It's wonderful that you have a cooperative vet.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Condolences on having so many divas. I find one to be quite enough.

Adament is good! "My pig, my choice, here, read!"

Trick

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:24 am

My last question for now! Does Vetmedin have any known side effects? For both it working and not working? I'm reading through a heap of information about both Vetmedin and Benazepril right now and not seeing anything mentioned about that but I just thought I'd check with the experts :)

"My pig, my choice!" is so going to be my motto from now on at the vets :D

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 am

All I've ever seen is positive results but the one to ask is Pinta. She's the one who put me onto Vedmedin. It was available in Canada long before the US. Try mailing her.

How is Rosie today?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

This is the med that has a different name when it's used for humans. Anyone remember what it is? I'm having a hard time with google. The only listed side effect with dogs is GI upset. I would also expect some kind of sedation effects being possible just on principle.