Rosie is Limping

Trick

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:09 am

I'll definitely e-mail Pinta and ask her, thank you :)

There have been no problems today with Rosie's breathing which is obviously a great improvement over yesterday, but the real test will come this evening. Because we're usually at work all day the girls are real lazy bugs all afternoon, they just snooze and occasionally get up for some grub. Though Rosie did run through to the kitchen at lunch time to ask why the lettuce was taking so long which is a good sign!

I'll let you know how she is this evening when the girls usually run about like mad pigs and stuff their faces. So far there seems to have been no loss of appetite though I'm weighing her daily in the evenings, and her poos look fine (I've been watching her rear end like a hawk).

I'm keen to see her energy levels, with sleeping being the norm in the afternoon it's hard not to worry :/

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:19 am

Oh, Rshevin, I'd sure like to know what the human equivelent is since Vetmedin is only sold through the vets that I know of. If it has a human equivelent I would be able to get it through my pharmacist who always charges me only his cost (sweet man!). At this point I think it's only animal. I gave the original box with info to my pharmacy and he said there was no human equivelent.

Trick-forgive me but without looking back here, how old is Rosie? LB is 6 years and her activity level has dropped. I think it may be due to her being a heart pig, blind and arthritic though.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 am

From the reading I've done, it's been taken off the market as a human med, since it causes serious problems in people with clogged arteries - which is a common cause of heart issues amongst people but almost unheard of in dogs.

here is a website that lists possible side effects.

If you hunt around you can find it for about 25c per pill on the web (reliable sites). You'll need an rx from your vet to order it.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:25 am

That explains it then. Nope, not available in a human pharmacy anymore.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:27 am

That is a very interesting website! I had no idea that particular kind of drug was useful in heart problems. My lab's major focus is with drugs that act in this way. Now the big question is what heart drug was I thinking of that has separate names for human versus animal?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:30 am

You're not thinking of Vetmedin/Benazepril (Lotensin) are you?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 am

Could be, but I'm confused about how you wrote that. Benazepril is drug name for Lotensin yes? and Pimobendan is drug name for vetmedin. I seem to recall someone saying even the drug name was different when the med was marked for vet use not just brand versus drug name? Maybe I'm mixed up.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:41 am

Sorry, I confused myself :-)

I meant to say that the veterinary product Fortekor is the same as the human drug Lotensin (both are brand names for benazepril).

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 am

Ah! Yes THAT is what I was thinking of. Thank you.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:12 pm

That's a great website, thank you :)

Bugs Mom: Rosie is 2 years old now, she was diagnosed as a heart pig when she was just 1.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:29 pm

Poor little Rosie but with the meds you should have her a good long time yet baring something else going wrong.

She's also young enough that she should be active : )

pinta

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:48 pm

Really I just wanted to ask you for your comments on her doses, whether I should be aiming for some to be lower or not, and what adverse effects I could be getting as a result of the medications. If there is anything else she should be on because she is on these (e.g. for her kidneys or similar).

Lotensin/Fortekor at 1.25mg twice daily
Lasix/Furosemide at 6mg twice daily
Vetmedin at 0.3125mg (1/4 of a 1.25mg tablet) twice daily

We've used as high as 1.5mg fortekor twice daily in 1kg pigs
Lasix doses depend on the pig's reaction as you've discovered.
That is the normal Vetmedin dose.

I ran into the Vetmedin sales rep at the vet and found out it's best to mix it with water if your are doing a suspension. i.e. - don't bother with suspension fluid. It will last for 48 hours after being mixed with water.

We've had no adverse reactions from the Vetmedin and it seems to be very helpful for many of our heart pigs. Pigs that improve on fortekor but still seem blue in the gums, pink up quickly once on Vetmedin.

Probably the best thing you could do for her kidneys is hydration subcues to counteract the dehydration from the lasix. You would want to avoid adding more meds to the mix unless you have to.

Ask your vet how much extra fluid Rosie should be getting. Depending on the pig, we will subcue 20ml's fluid daily or as needed. A properly hydrated pig will be more active and have a better appetite than a dehydrated pig.