Three just north of Atlanta, GA have until Tuesday

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:55 am

I found some charts in the medical guide. They are helpful as it looks like pups do lose a bit of weight the first day, then steadily gain. Paulo's chart is for pigs over 1 year old.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:19 am

It's normal to lose a few grams. They should gain tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:28 pm

I think the charts are linked to from this page:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 am

Update on the little furry Mexican jumping beans: Pup #1 gained back birth weight and then some - 110 gm.

Pup #2 lost a little again, down to 104. I don't think I'm particularly worried at this point. Pup #2 is not nursing as much as #1 but it is eating pellets/hay/veggies and has found a water bottle. Plus this one is the more active of the two. If weight does not start going up tomorrow I may give some CC and carrot juice.

Both babies did noseys with daddy this morning as I pulled them out to weigh them. George was very interested, especially in the one that looks like him!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Let's talk about behavior in the new mom. Are they supposed to just eat, drink, feed babies and sleep? Well, I know that's what they do most of the time anyway (!) but it seems the only time Nala moves about is to get to the food & hay & water. She seems content to lay in the corner of the cage and babies have stuck with her today.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm

How are her feces and urine? Any odd odors on or near her?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:20 pm

Gosh, with so many pigs in the cage I don't know if I can pick out her poos! I don't notice any odor. Do you think I could handle her now or will she still be sore from delivery?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 pm

She should be unsore enough to be checked over. Take care around her nipple area. If I had to guess (and never having had a pregnant sow), her nipple area is sore-er than her actual privates. (That's a guess.) Be gentle and careful but I know you will anyway.

You might also email Kleenmama and Josephine to see what they say.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm

I have a tupperware under-bed bin that I line with a towel and fleece for lap time since my boys aren't always into the actual lap part. Could you put her in something like that for a half an hour to monitor her output? Although if she's not moving much, there out to be a pile.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Start weighing her too. She's probably pooped out from the delivery, but I'd keep a close eye on her.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:44 pm

She weighs 1068 tonight. Two days before delivery she was 1336 (gms). I checked her over and did not see anything I thought was out of the ordinary. Of course her nipple areas are swollen. No foul smells and I have looked at all the poop in the cage and nothing looks funny to me so I am going to assume that's ok too! There was a pile near where she'd been laying for the last little bit. I think that was hers and it was normal.

She was very good for me while I gave her the once over. She's such a good girl. And when she was set back in the cage she went straight for the babies! They are nursing in a WEAVER bed right now. I took the pigloo out and draped a towel over a 1x1 area to give them privacy yet keep the air circulating around them.

Will keep a close eye on Nala, but I have a feeling too that it's exhausting giving birth and nursing.

Thanks for the quick responses y'all.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:40 am

Mom and babies are doing so well! I'm so proud of Nala.

Can y'all tell if this is a boy or girl?

These are two different shots of the same baby.

I am thinking that now Baby #1 is a boy. The pics above are baby #2 and I can't tell for sure.