Rescue pig Piglet

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:08 pm

I think the culture is a good idea, but her seizing under stress for no other apparent reason brings Tater to mind:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35890

Heaven knows Piglet has every reason from her past environment to react this way.

Knhappyface

Post   » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:50 pm

In grade 7, we had a class hamster. Believe me, class pets go through ALOT more than one could expect. The poor guy was named "The Thing" - and he was dropped, squeezed, dangled, and mishandled in every way imaginable. Not to mention the kids tried to feed him marshmellows, hot dogs, and food that isn't even good for people. I bought him from the teacher after a month or two because I felt so bad for the poor guy, and he lived happily for another year and a half.

It's very possible that she has alot of underlying problems - that is, if she was handled as badly as "The Thing" was.

lisam

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Wow, I just read that thread, Talishan. I had posted on it, but then forgot about it.

Tater's seizures look very, very similar to Piglet's. I don't think Piglet's are mite related, but you never know. Piglet had another seizure today while I was trying to clean off some of the gunk around her private area.

I haven't had a chance to take her to the vet, with all the abscessed males I've been dealing with. I hate to leave her all gunky and smelly, but I also hate the seizures.

I wonder if bedding her on fleece would make her less gunky?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Our first pig and the one who melted our hearts for all future pigs was a classroom pet. It took her awhile to come around, but once she felt secure and confident, she turned into the most personable animal I've ever known...and so loving and appreciative. We really miss Oreo.

lisam

Post   » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 am

Piglet had quite a long seizure while I was weighing her the other day. I discovered that one reason she's so gunky is that she seems unable to reach under and get her cecal poops.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Do you think she has nerve damage in her hip/leg area? Maybe it's extremely painful when it's touched or when she stands up to reach under.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:17 pm

Piglet continues to get really gunky and is always smelly. Whenever I bathe her or attempt to remove the clumps she seizes. Two days ago she was bleeding quite a bit from her vaginal area--not sure if it's a urinary thing or a uterine thing. I started her on Bactrim, and today she goes in to the vet.

She's fat and happy, but I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be a quality of life question for her. Will it come to a point where the seizures will kill her?

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Is it possible that she has developed a bladder infection? It wouldn't account for the seisures but might account for the smelly bottom.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 pm

Is she on anything that might help with seizures? I'm thinking maybe if you could give her a dose of valium an hour before you try to clean her off, she might not seize.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:24 pm

Vet found bacteria in the urine. She says that in humans sometimes urinary tract infections will aggravate seizures, so we are hoping that taking care of the infection might help. She also wants to try a Chinese herb that's known to help dogs with seizures and will let me know when she gets some in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:01 pm

I wish you the best clearing it up.