Show your cage... again!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:43 pm

The only difference in the packaging is the picture on the front and you have to look very closely to see that.

Walmart grids are fine but they are ship to store only and the package only has 4 cubes versus 6 from target.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Great pic illustrating the new cubes, Momo!

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Has anyone else noticed the price of the grids? I found some for over $20 and I bought mine years ago for around $13. *heavy sigh*

Thanks for posting the difference momo!

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 am

Are the new Target grids safe to use? The ones that have 5 holes per row look easy to get stuck in or climb through. Are the ones with 8 holes per row safe?

Someone mentioned doubling up the grids. But that seems like we're rewarding Target for going to a cheaper design by buying twice as much of their product. It doesn't seem right.

I noticed that Walmart is charging $21.99 for a box of grids. OUch.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 am

The ones with 8 look okay. The others seem too big. The adults could get stuck?

Perhaps if you use those on one side and make the coroplast wall higher?

Ditto CH. You can get the old grids but you'd need to buy double the boxes!

emilythegreat

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:54 am

"The only difference in the packaging is the picture on the front and you have to look very closely to see that."

I had a box of the 9x9 grids and a box of the 8x8 and 5x5 grids. The difference on the boxes was in the picture of the shelf. The grids on the back of the shelf on the NEW box shows the 5x5 grids. The back of the shelf on the OLD box showed the 9x9 grids.

Does that make sense?

I made the mistake of trying floor time with the babies using the new grids. It didn't occur to me to block the bottom of the grids and the white baby fit through the 8x8 square. Ooh, that freaked me out. Those babies are quick little suckers. I stuck them all in the hut and put my boyfriend on watch duty until I was done cleaning their cage. Uff da!! I do not need any babies roaming my apartment.

eta: I think someone should go into business providing affordable grids for cages. Any takers?
Last edited by emilythegreat on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:55 am

I would say no to all new grids, even the 8x8. I bet Calvin could get part way through and then get stuck. He is on the smaller side. I would not risk it.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 am

Ok. Hmm. Grr. What do we do now?

Princess Aurora

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:06 am

I adore your piggies's cage, babytulip07!!

Well done!! :-D

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:49 am

I would say no to all new grids, even the 8x8. I bet Calvin could get part way through and then get stuck. He is on the smaller side. I would not risk it.

Yeah, I had a grown pig get their head stuck in a hayrack with 1.5" openings that I never thought would have made it in there.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Since Carefresh was on sale ($11.99/50qt), Ben and I made the trip to PetClub and stuffed our trunk with bags galore.
While we were there, I also saw Varefreh Ultra, which they have just started carrying recently.
The 50qt Ultra was going for $15.99/50qt, so we grabbed a 2 bags of those too.

I have just started using the Ultra in the cage, and I am really not seeing any "supreme odor control" here.
I use it the same way I used the regular, packed down over a layer of puppy pad (to roll up the whole area) and used it in the kitchen/hay area.
It smells more like uh... diluted betadine to my disappointment.
You can really smell the faint chemicall-y scent, even slow-poke Ben noticed the smell.
Am I using it wrong?
Are the bags of Ultra really worth their price?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:50 pm

I am not sure about the Ultra, I have all I can do to keep mine on the regular. I have found that using Yesterday's News under the regular Carefresh makes a HUGE difference. The worst part is it makes the pan a little heavy to carry and dump out.