Show your cage... again!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Yesterday's news? I am not familiar with it...
So Weaver, a layer of yesterday's new on the bottom, then cover with Carefresh?
Does Yesterday's News have any scents? or is it dusty? What is it like?
Mojo and I have no-no for dusts particles, he will go on his sneezing rounds and I go wheezing up a storm.

I am just a little disappointed with the Ultra since Supreme Odor Control was written in bold on their bags.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:27 pm

I used to use Carefresh all the time, for years.

Then fostering led me to aspen shavings (Harlan Teklad) and GL led to fleece. I use a bit of Carefresh under the hay in litter boxes and it helps absorb. I also like Back 2 Nature, it seems much better for odor control.

I had a pair of fosters come in recently on Carefresh, clean of course, but as soon as it started getting wet I noticed the smell! I never noticed it when I used it all the time, but having been away from it, geesh.

Purina makes Yesterday's News, it looks like pellets, but is made from paper stuff. Compacted.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:33 pm

There are some awesome paper shavings available. Here is the web site: http://papershavings.com.

I have switched both my rabbits and pigs to these for their hay boxes and find they are more absorbent and control the odor better than any other product, including CareFresh and kiln dried pine. The are also dust free and non-allergic. The bale lasts at least twice as long as regular shavings or CareFresh.

They are much cheaper, too. A bale (3.0 cubic feet) is approximately $12.00. You can contact the company to find out if they have distributors in your area. I get mine form the local feed store.

I called the company and they are looking at packaging them in smaller quantities maybe after the first of the year.

Possibly someone on GL can buy the bales, repackage them and sell the smaller sizes. They don't weigh much so could easily be shipped out by mail or UPS.

These have been a god send because they are not only cheaper, but they are softer for the piggy feet, and they don't clog up my Dust Buster as much.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:35 pm

It is very compacted. Looks like oversized piggie pellets. I put it on the bottom and than a very thin layer of Carefresh over that and than lose hay over the top. The hay is removed daily and the pan is spot cleaned. I think it really keeps the odor down and I can go about a day longer. I have thought about getting a dustpan and just scooping it out so I don't have to move the pan seeing the litter makes it heavier.

I also wanted to add Momo that you can use the kitty litter kind in the green bag. It is the same as the small pet kind and is sooo much cheaper than buying those smaller bags.

mmercedesmom, I agree Carefresh does tend to smell when it gets wet. I do like it better than shavings though because they don't tend to kick it out of their kitchen area as much. The kitty litter helps with the smell and I just remove the wet Carefresh daily. I wish there was a easier alternative.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:43 pm

Much like my endless search for the perfect water bottle for them, we try different combinations for litter boxes/kitchen areas and evolve to what works best for a time.

It is nice to be able to discuss this with others who don't look at me as if I have a third eye or something. :-)

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I have found the perfect water bottle. It is the Oasis pastel colored water bottle. It is without a doubt my favorite hands down. That is all I use. They do leak slightly when they are only half full, but if you keep them full they are great.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:49 pm

I've been a huge fan of 16 ounce lixit bottles, preferably the ones with frosted sides and purple writing on them with pictures of ferrets. No leaking, and I've had the same ones for the last 7 years with no problems.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Yes Erin, I love those!

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:35 pm

I do believe I have some of those with ferrets on them. My recent favorite is a Lixit, wide mouth bottle, 16 oz., but with a shorter/wider stature.
They are much easier to clean and seem to be the preferred bottle of Foremole and Xenos Mordred. They give it 8 paws up!

From bottles turned in with surrenders etc., I have a collection of parts too.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:48 pm

I still have over 100 bottles to divy up to a few people who asked for them back at the begining of spring.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:41 pm

Momo - you can find yesterdays news in the cat litter aisle usually. It's newspaper bedding but in pellet form.

They package it for small animals but charge more even though it is the same product.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

cutemomomi, I would call or write the manufacturer that you are disappointed with their product and you would at least like the difference in price between the two products you bought. They may just send you a coupon or two for a free bag.