Boars Behaving Badly

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:43 pm

OMG Halva, I'd love to see that!

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Yes, I get rumbled at a lot. I've got 3 boars of my own, and Hobo is about the randiest little pig I've ever met, even having been neutered years ago.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Just goes to show that neutering has absolutely nothing to do with pig behavior!

Funny little things.

sammianne

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:15 pm

I really wanted to do a chronicle episode regarding the changes in our two naughty boars, but I've been way too busy to sit down and write creatively.

Long story short here - Romeo is finally standing up for himself. He stands up as tall as he can and yawns in George's face when George tries to get frisky with him. Romeo warns him to back off and surprisingly George listens. No one has new wounds and all of Romeo's old boo boos are healing well or healed completely.

I have thought all along that the tension and squabbles were caused more by my husband or I being in the room than the two young boars not liking each other. George really wasn't hand tame or used to people when we took him in. He'd get scared or upset when we got near the cage and take it out on poor Romeo. If he didn't know we were in the room with him he was fine, but as soon as he heard or saw us he'd chatter up a storm and act very upset.

Now crazy little George is accepting our presence. There is much less chatter (in fact it's stopped almost completely) and less running away in pure terror just because we entered the room. He even comes up to the grids and stands on the edge of the coroplast to see what is being passed out at veggie time and occasionally eating from our hands.

I am so glad I stuck with it and didn't let myself be a wimp when it came to trying to get these two boys to bond. I think it's going to work out just fine now and that's a plus because if they are bonded they will be adopted out together and always have each other.

I have reformed juvenile deliquent boars and am proud of it!

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:51 pm

I was talking to my vet today when I took Jasper in for a quick health check and he said that some of the sex hormones are produced by the adrenals which could explain why just whipping off the testicles doesn't change the behaviour. Interesting.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm sure that statement goes for human men too Halva... :)

guineapigbillie

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Halva- my boar does that too!

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Ok, I must say that I've caught Rascal humping the heck out of poor baby Jetta. She just sits there and lets him do that. My first thought, "You little slut, you!" :) Now I think, "Run Jetta, run!" She's just a baby (around 6mons old) while he's just turned 2yrs old in May. I guess she likes older boys. :)

My other boy Patches doesn't hump his girls but he's older and they've whipped him into shape. Rascal doesn't seem to bother any of the other girls. Halo runs from him and hides while the older girls will tell him what's up!!

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Halva: My Oliver does that too. It's the funniest thing to watch! =)

Feylin

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Jetta found a boyfriend!!

Kateo

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:35 pm

I only just found this thread: read it, laughed myself to death.

But Peking would like to tell his hair twin that you're supposed to be the one HUMPING, not the one being humped!

Feylin

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Henry prefers this arrangement, especially when it involves his boyfriend Oliver. ;)