Elwood's sinus trouble.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks, PinkRufus! I figured you wouldn't mind but like to make sure about it.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:04 am

Just an update! Elwood has been off of his nebulizer for two weeks and his oral antibiotics for one week. He will be getting Gentamicin ointment in his eyes for up to two more weeks, with the idea that it will enter the sinuses through the eye sockets. So far he is doing really well.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:18 am

Yay, Elwood, way to go!!

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:20 pm

What kind of nebulizer is this and where can I get one? Can I get detailed directions on how to set this up for my pig?

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm sorry! I found the info!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:55 am

This is a PARI PRONEB Ultra II Plus compressor nebulizer system, EO570 compressor, A7005 reusable nebulizer. We got this at a local medical supply store. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but it was very reasonable. Our vet said to look for a children's nebulizer because some of the larger ones make too much noise. I hope this helps.

As long as this thread has been bumped up, I may as well update on Elwood. He's doing great with no recurrence of sinus trouble. He even went through the recent brush fires in our area when the house was filled with smoke without his sinuses acting up at all.

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:48 pm

That is fantastic! I'm so glad to hear he is better! I did get all the stuff today. I'm looking forward to helping my baby.

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am

Just read this threat from PinkRufus and was wondering if someone could give more input on sinus infections for guineas. My 4.5 year old female could have sth similar as her lungs are clear, there is no discharge from th enose, once in a while a little drop around the eyes and she's making sounds like her nose is stuffed, however she's not doing this continuously.
My vet says she cannot get into her nose and since there is no discharge, we cannot examine for bacteria. She's been eating as always but I'd like to get this cleared up. Any other suggestions? I saw that the following meds were given. I have iven Schnulla so dar Baytril and Bactrim. What are the others used for?

Baytril, Bactrim
Chloramphenicol
Doxycycline
Gentamicin

We also don't have a nebulizer. Is there any way to get drop or similar in her nose? She's a very patient piggie...

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 am

I have had a vet prescribe gentamicin opthalmic for dropping into both eyes and nostrils for a bad URI.

gvstate01

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:12 pm

The links for building a nebulizer and what supplies are needed, are expired. Can someone update this? I'd love to know how to build one :)

Corney

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:38 am

PinkRufus - Please can i ask what nebulizers you used and where you bought it...i am deperate to get one but dont know which kind and my vets doesnt have a clue either. Hope you can help.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:01 pm

How is little Elwood doing now? Hoping he continues to improve. Sending kisses, hugs and healing vibes. Girls send lots of wheeks.