Henry's Thread

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Oh poor Henry, I sure hope you can find out what is causing all this. But I am glad he seems to be acting normal.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:08 am

Henry was doing really great for several days, and now he's starting to produce bloody urine again. And he's acting uncomfortable. He's just so chipper - he's never whiny - and he's eating and drinking and begging for goodies.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:25 am

Sending healing thoughts for sweet Henry.

I'm not sure if this is an option for Henry, but have you thought of trying a different antibiotic?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:57 am

Tracis- a trip to the vet and a discussion about antibiotics may be up next. He has such a sensitive GI system, and our vet here is not the most knowledgeable, unfortunately. I can't afford a trip to K-State until after I get paid - which won't be for another week.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 am

Henry I hope you feel better soon. Diana I loved that picture you posted with Henry and you.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Grandpa Henry has a stone about the size of a green pea.

The good news is that it's too big to get stuck.

The bad news is that it's too big to pass.

There is no sign of sludge, and he is otherwise healthy and perky.

I don't know what we're going to do.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Poor Henry. Hugs to him. Tough decision you guys have. Unfortunately, since it's bothering him, you have to make a decision. Stupid stones!

EllieMom

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Oh, damn. Can you tell if the metacam helps at all with the discomfort?

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm sorry you guys. Stones are terrible at any age for a piggie, but with Henry's "advanced" age it's tougher. I know you'll do what's right for Henry and keep him comfortable.

I'm glad he is still perky and happy. My girl Brianca was also and then one day her old body couldn't take her kidney and bladder stone anymore. My good thoughts are with you. Kisses to Henry.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:25 pm

I'd like some advice.

Henry doesn't tolerate the Metacam very well. Dr. Miller consulted that book by Carpenter and came out with two suggestions:

1. Diluted baby Tylenol
2. Rimadyl (Carprofen)

Does anyone have experience with either of these things?

The problem with the Metacam is that it really irritates Henry's GI system after a few days.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 pm

We had extremely good luck with diluted baby Tylenol. IIRC dose was 1 mg for a roughly 1 kilo pig once a day. We diluted 80 mg of the infant's suspension in 80 mL of Gerber fruit juice, and he took 1 cc of that willingly.

On occasion we gave him more. It only helped and never seemed to hurt him. This pig was on this regimen for over three years.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:54 pm

That's good to know, Talishan. Dr. Miller thought that of the two, the diluted baby Tylenol would be more work to prepare, but easier on his GI system.