piggy tumor

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:16 pm

My daughter said when Celia gets tired of the licking she just moves her head and Elle stops for awhile. Then Elle will start again later. But they're not next to each other all the time in the cage and there are 2 houses and a covered area at the other end of the cage - plenty of room for some privacy. Maybe it's not a big deal - I was just wondering about it.

As for Maggie, our piggy with the poop problem, I guess we'll never know. I didn't know about necropsy at the time. She and Jane had shared a cage in a classroom for a school year and we had her for another year or so before the poop problem started. To me, that should rule out stress from Jane. I think the vet just didn't know what was wrong. However this same vet gave another old piggy of ours, shortly before he died, a hydrating injection for free, which I thought was very nice.

The rescue lady we got Celia and the recently deceased Matilda from actually more or less did multiple introductions, depending on how long she had the pigs. Unfortunately, she's no longer doing rescue so we just have the Humane Society of MO.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm

My daughter was just holding Elle and got poop stuff smeared on her tee shirt (from Elle's feet). She said this happens some of the time. Elle did get several blueberries, a grape, a leaf of romaine and maybe a baby carrot yesterday.

Elle has had somewhat soft poops from when we first brought her home and my girls said they looked wet on the outside. They are formed, just soft. She drinks a lot of water. I'll probably take her to the vet next week. I have tried searching the forum, but don't have much luck coming up with what I want. Is there a way to search for a phrase? I tried using quotes and it didn't work. I've read the diet reccomendations on this site.

Does anyone have experience with this poop problem? She seems happy, energetic and fine otherwise.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:12 pm

I checked the vet recommendations on this web site and found one for my area. I took Ellie in for her poop problem.

The vet gave her a motility drug (which isn't working yet) and checked for parasites, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for listing this vet. She is wonderful - SO much more knowledgeable than our previous vet, and SO nice. The office even called today to ask about how Elle's doing since her medicine is almost gone.

It's wonderful to know we finally have a vet who really knows what she's doing. Plus, one of the vets is always "on call" and will talk to a non-exotic vet at an emergency place or whatever after hours. That's reassuring.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for the update. I am very happy to hear this vet is working out for you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Update on Ellie's soft poops. The vet wants us to continue the propulsid (motility) drug for two more weeks. Also no treats of any kind.

She wants her to eat mainly timothy hay. She says to be sure more hay is being consumed than pellets, which my daughter said is the case. Hay is the most important thing for their digestive systems, apparently.

We'll see how it goes. Just wanted to pass it along for the record.

Also, and I may have posted this elsewhere (?), both our pigs had a mild case of mites, which we're treating. She says it's very unusual for a pig to come in without mites. So my other pigs (all gone now) probably had them too and our vet at the time just missed them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Update on Ellie's soft poops. Now we're trying a probiotic, giving her Oxbow feed, and no treats at all. Just hay and pellets. Plus a vitamin C tablet.

She's lost a little weight, so we probably need to buy a scale. What's a good source for scales?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:19 am

Stores like Target and Walmart usually sell inexpensive small food scales in the kitchen department. Digital scales that weigh in both ounces and grams are nice.

Others have found good bargains online.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 am

I got a Martha Stewart kitchen scale from KMart for about $10.00. It has both ounces and grams. Discount stores (KMart, Target, Walmart, etc) will probably have scales for the lowest prices.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks for the input. This will come as no surprise to some of you, but my daughter put pellets from our remaining Nutriphase in one bowl and the Oxbow pellets in the other. They ate more of the Oxbow. And the hay smells so good, I'd almost like to try it. :p Almost.

It's nice our vet sells the stuff, but I need to check the Oxbow site to price compare. I paid 10.50 for 5# of Cavy Cuisine and 7.00 for 40 oz. tim. hay.

Another note on mites, fyi. The vet said you're most likely to find them behind the ears and they're easiest to spot on dark fur (if the pig has any) for obvious reasons. She uses Revolution which is a cream we apply once every 3 weeks. This is our second round, but in my general rush, I read the directions wrong and didn't do the dosing right last time. I was worried about that but she said it's very safe.

I'm just throwing this in so you all will have another vets opinion to add to all the other expertise on this forum.
Last edited by Bookfan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Ha, you can try the hay if you really want to but I'm going to tell you right now, It may smell good, but leave it for the piggies!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:37 pm

OK, I guess I'll pass on it. Was going to feed it to my family tonight.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 pm

haha yeah its not fun when you accidentally taste some. It's not like I ate in volunarily (sp?)