I hope Ellie gets better soon.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:28 pm

thanks.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 pm

I need help again. My daughter says the pigs won't eat their vit c tablets. She tried hand feeding but that didn't work, and then left them in the bowl which also didn't work. The vet said they usually like them.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Try grinding it up and sprinkling on a fav veggie.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Grinding then up and sprinkling them on peppers & carrots usually work. I do that for my girls and they love their "special" veggies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks for the tips. Only problem is, the main reason why they need vit. c is that I'm not giving them any fruits or veggies while we're trying to "improve" Ellie's soft poops.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:48 pm

I know there's a thread on Vit. C tabs, but I thought I'd continue here. Our vet suggested grinding it up and mixing it with a bit of applesauce or pumpkin. We tried applesauce, and as others have noted, Elle now likes the tablets "straight up". Celia still won't eat them.

Finished the probiotic, Elle still has poop problem. The vet wants us to keep her on hay & pellets & nothing else until we get her checked again in Oct.

We did get a scale and they look sooo cute in it!!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:13 pm

Good news.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:39 pm

This thread should have a different name. I should have started a new one when we got Elle.

Elle's poop problem has gotten worse. Her poops are sometimes toothpaste consistency and unformed. She's been getting nothing but hay & pellets for weeks. And a vitamin C tablet.

We went to the vet on Tues. and Elle did something that she just recently started. She rises up on her feet and arches her back, makes a little hiccup sound, and then poops these unformed piles. It's like she's straining. She doesn't do it all the time.

The vet collected a sizable sample to test, but it was negative. We're supposed to stick with timothy hay & pellets and measure the pellets for consistency from day to day. I got some blue grass hay, but I'm going to stop that for now.

The vet palpated Ellie's abdomen and didn't think there was a stone problem because there was no tenderness in that area at all. She said she'd post on Vet Web and had someone she wanted to call at Colorado State, but he's out of town this week.

I'm starting to worry. Otherwise, she's happy, lively and eats regularly.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Sorry for the problems you're having but DO NOT stop the hay. It is one of the most important things for piggys to eat as it helps keep their motility going.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Oh, I neglected to say she's still getting timothy hay. I know that's really important.