Another fleece convert-with questions!

PrayerWarrior

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 pm

That's an awesome idea, Camende, and I might even consider it for my pigs that aren't burrowers.

Nomes

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:59 am

Camende, I have a silly question- where do you buy mattress pads? Is there some specific brand/type I should be looking for?

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:19 am

I am a new fleece user as well. I use one towel and then the fleece and the extra goes over each long side of the coroplast and get's pushed under the cage. I change both on the second day. I used it for the first time this past Sunday and on Tuesday, I took everything out and washed it after shaking it all out. Before I launder everything, I put a new towel down and cover it with the fleece. I use two brick caps under the water to catch any drips. I find Lenny sleeping on the brick sometimes. I might put the other two caps I have in the cage once we go bigger.

I did notice a smell after I laundered everything. I use a clear and free detergent and softner. I may try adding the vinegar. How much should I put in?

Does it sound like I'd doing everything right?

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 am

PW, you could use bricks or paver stones down so that your piggies don't burrow under them. Really, a couple of my piggies looked underneath the pads but I think they decided it was softer on top then underneath on the coroplast. I have not had a problem with any of the piggies burrowing.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:37 am

Nomes, I bought the cheapest mattress pads I could find. At the time I was looking, I found some at walmart for under $10 and I think I found some on sale at Linens and Things.

I would look for them on sale since there is a big price range

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:42 am

New Guinea Pig Mom, You are NOT supposed to use a softner with the fleece. It affects the the wicking properties of the fleece. Only use detergent and vinegar. I don't think it matters how much. I probably use about 1/2 cup to a cup with each wash.

oh, also, no drier sheets with the fleece.

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:31 am

OOPS! Okay. I use the dryer sheets. Okay, I'll just save those for the kids stuff then. Thank you!

Does it matter what kind of vinegar?

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 am

I wash with a bit of detergent (short cycle like for delicates)then I put it through a second short cycle with some vinegar. I just use plain white vinegar.

Sometimes I just wash with detergent (on a regluar cycle) first and do two rinse cycles to make sure the detergent is fully gone, and then I will smell and if it smells good I forgo the vinegar step.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 am

I use white vinegar. Put in right in with my detergent. I use a half a cup. Wash it all on hot and I use the second cycle with the pig laundry to make sure it is really clean and all of the detergent is washed out.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 am

So since switching to fleece I realized we've got someone leaving white spots behind.

Are these definitely calcium deposits indicating one piggy is having a too rich calcium diet and we should isolate who is having it? Or see if it continues and maybe it was just one meal? Or is there a possibility of sludge?

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 am

Okay. I completely forgot to pick up vinegar when I went shopping last. I went for that and some others things and came home without it and a bunch of things I didn't go for. I will wash today, and not use a fabric softener. Next time I'll use the vinegar.

I do have a spray bottle with water and vinegar to clean the coroplast after I remove everything before I put new bedding back in.

Thank you guys!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:18 am

I don't worry about white spots. Typically I see them on the rare occasions I feed parsley and/or romaine.