Traveling w/ Piggies during Hurricane Gustav

Kellyjo

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:53 am

I say go anyways only because once they say evacuate the roads will be clogged and you will be stuck for hours. Head up and find a hotel room somewhere. GO.

Wendaeh

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:59 am

Our thoughts are with you -- safe travels.

Wendy

calicavylover

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Our thoughts are with you and your babies-stay safe!

LANDREWS

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey all-

We are going to go ahead and leave in a little bit since Gustav is projected to hit us. Sad part is it's already a category 3 and thats what Rita was when it hit us and destroyed A LOT. Hopefully it calms down and stops brewing. I have the pigs just about ready and we have a tad bit left to do and we will be heading out the door to Jons brothers deer lease. It is about an hour outside of San Antonio. It is a house so I'm thankful for that. When Rita hit, we weren't able to come back for 3 weeks so hopefully it is not that long :'(

Keep us in your prayers and thoughts.

Love,
Lyndsay - Dr. Pepper - Rootbeer

Jasmaya

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Best of luck to you and the family (both furry and not). Take care!

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with your family as you travel to safety.

(P.S. Thanks to this thread, the crap is scared out of me, and I am working on putting together a kit for my family).

RayFay

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Have a safe trip. Hope you're able to come home soon!

"(P.S. Thanks to this thread, the crap is scared out of me, and I am working on putting together a kit for my family)."

I have a hurricane kit put together for my family as well and we don't even get hurricanes here!

Eenypup

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Good luck, I hope it doesn't hit your house too badly and you can come home safe and sound soon!

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Same with me RayFay, only mine is left over from when I was living on the VA coast. I'm converting it now into a "stay box" versus a "go box." I'm most likely to shelter in place here in case of a freak winter storm.

RayFay

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:57 pm

We don't really have a need for it at all here rshevin. I guess just fires and stuff... we don't get enough rain to have to evacuate. haha.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Ditto, Kermie, RayFay, and rshevin about being freaked out and feeling the need to put together the stay/go box. And I don't live in a hurricane, fire, or even tornado-prone area. We just get the occasional blizzard or ice storm. Which is why I wanted a house with a fireplace, so we could have a back-up heating/cooking source.

I picked up a folder from the Red Cross last year at some health fair. It's supposed to be your household checklist and survival kit planning tool. Haven't opened the folder since I brought it home. I really should do that soon.

Stay safe, LAndrews! Check in and let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Kermie, it is always good to be prepared. I think the last time NJ got a Hurricaine was Hurricaine Gloria. I think it was about 1986. WOW. I must be getting old because that seems like ages ago to me now. Anyway, hurricaines usually die out before they get to NJ. But, it always helps to have a plan.

I had an "earthquake kit" in my car when I lived in California. (actually, I believe the blankets and water are still in the my car)

I think the only bad weather we have here in IL is tornados. You really can't plan for those. I seem to always be at work when the sirens go off. There is nothing I can do about the piggies when I am at work and they are at home. Except pray. Although, I do have some large containers which I can scoop the piggies up and evacuate to the basement if need be.