Another fleece convert-with questions!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for the quick reply Mum. Good to know.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:21 am

I see them regularly (nearly daily) with Piggy despite his long term stone diet. I have been assured it's not the end of the world.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Here is my attempt at tucking fleece the Weaver way!
Checking out the new Cozy Pads before I put the other hideys back.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Looks good! Looks especially great with Wooly in the picture :)

I have to clean the herd's cage this afternoon. I will try to take pictures as I am going to give new people a better idea of the step by step process.

Eenypup

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:31 pm

I must say I am in awe of WEAVER's cages. They are like little designer homes! I think they look more stylish than my bedroom!

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:19 pm

I get a tolerable tuck by laying the fleece on the floor, then layering towels and crib pads as desired, and folding the fleece around. I then roll it up tight to transfer to the cage where it's unrolled. The corners say pretty good this way, not perfect, but nice.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Oh, how I wish I could tuck my fleece like that! Or even better, use cage pads- it would be great to change out the whole layer of fleece and absorbent material at the same time.

I just cleaned the 2x10. Lots of layers of fleece means lots of laundry if I'm not good about washing my smaller top layers through out the week.

I'm curious to know what detergent you all are using. I tried the Purex but the scented kind just was awful. I tried the Free and Clear kind but it doesn't work well at all, which was very odd consindering how much success others here have had with it. I think my water is just too hard. I'm back to Arm and Hammer powdered detergent with OxyClean in it. It's OK, but I'm still searching for something that I can buy in large volumes and that works well in my hard water.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm

With the Purex, did you use bleach when you washed the towels?

I only use the Purex and add vinegar for beds and the fleece. I have to use the Purex, vinegar and bleach to wash the towels.

With the Puret you also have to make sure you are using the right amount of powder. It seems like a whole lot because it is not as concentrated as some of the other stuff out there.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:47 pm

I had the concentrated liquid (couldn't find the powder). I filled the cap all the way up. No bleach, since I try to avoid it unless it's absoluetly necessary. I splashed in liberal amounts of vinegar and always used oxyclean.

Your suggestion of soaking in oxyclean really worked, btw, to get pee stains out of the cups and sacks. I guess I'm just lazy and want it to happen in the washer, while the washing is going on! :)

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:51 pm

I hate to use bleach too. I only use it in my pig towels and I can do two cages and that is one load of laundry. I do find that without the bleach my white towels are not white and they will have a smell to them if I do not add bleach. The urine over days of just sitting in the towels makes the towels in my opinion the dirtiest and the smellest.

TexCavy

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm

I asked this once on another thread, but I forgot what one and don't think I saw if there were replies. What if you have a pig that chews at the fleece? One of mine was on a flannel cloth during cage clean once and she ate a huge chunk of it. It really scared me from being able to switch her to fleece. If she gets within reach of any cloth but our clothes she chews it and she is a barber too.

TexCavy

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:38 pm

I asked this once on another thread, but I forgot what one and don't think I saw if there were replies. What if you have a pig that chews at the fleece? One of mine was on a flannel cloth during cage clean once and she ate a huge chunk of it. It really scared me from being able to switch her to fleece. If she gets within reach of any cloth but our clothes she chews it and she is a barber too.