Traveling w/ Piggies during Hurricane Gustav

Malilla

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:21 pm

I keep you in my thoughts, LANDREWS. Have a save trip and I pray you´ll return safe and sound!

squeekangel

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 pm

LANDREWS! our thoughts are with you over there, we are in England and don't have to deal with Hurricanes and suchlike. Its very daunting to think of what you are having to plan ahead for, we hope it passes over you safely. Have a safe journey all of you!

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:54 pm

I think the last time NJ got a Hurricaine was Hurricaine Gloria. I think it was about 1986.
There was Hurricane Floyd in 1999. Or maybe Floyd was a tropical storm by the time it made landfall in NJ. Either way it caused major flooding, and then Bound Brook, NJ was on fire and flooded at the same time. Scary stuff. I had just moved into my new house a week before and woke up from a nap to find the intersection by my house had turned into a pond. Other than a few inches of water in the basement, my house was fine. But I was a brand-new homeowner and was kinda freaking out watching the water rise.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:02 pm

We're thinking of you LANDREWS and hoping you have a safe trip.

I hope everyone else is ok too. I wonder if Elly is evacuating.

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Yeah... I live 15 miles from the coast. Probably a good plan to have a "Get the #$% out of dodge" box, right?"

calicavylover

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Good luck to you all..I just read over at guineapigcages that elly (goes by another name there) is headed out as well.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Kermie, I think you and your herd need a PODS storage container, not a box!

I'm picturing Zabby and Pinky squished in a cardboard banana box with all the other kids looking VERY annoyed.

Landrews, stay safe at your BIL's cabin!

TexCavy

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:15 pm

I look forward to yours and your family's safe return. That includes pets. Good luck.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:48 pm

For a tornado I keep a radio, flashlight, and batteries in my downstairs bathroom. Animals get rushed into carriers and brought down there with me. You'd use a "stay box" for a tornado. Idealy placed somewhere you may be able to get to it after the storm as passed.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Hurricanes scare the Bejeezus out of me. God speed on your evacuation plans, and we're hoping your get back home very soon.

I'm of the "better safe than sorry" approach to life. With tornadoes here in Illinois, we've decided to move our girls down to the basement until the season is over. My parents' house was leveled by a tornado, and I've always worried that I wouldn't be able to scoop up all three girls and get them to the basement in time.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:30 pm

Wow they're thinking it's going to hit land possibly as a category 5 if it strengthens over the gulf and continues. It's still a category 4 and it's almost totaly past Cuba - I just caught a news update.

Everyone in or around an affected area please stay safe!

Lovemypig

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Good luck to all of you down there in that area. Don't wait, evacuate.