Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Can I have permission to send a copy of the first post in this thread to someone and to post a copy on my websites? I'm referring to what sus put up that charybdis had written?

Thanks

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Yes.

PigWooBus

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 am

Hi everyone, I read on here a lot but haven't posted much. (note: this seemed to me like the best place to post this, but feel free to move it if you don't agree). I'm a volunteer with the Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, and the grid change has been a big issue for us, as I suspect it is with many rescues across the country. One of our members contacted Target about the grids and has supplied us with contact informtion and a case number, so that others can continue to contact Target with more information. She is not active on any of the online forums, but asked me to post this information wherever it will be seen and hopefully be of some use to others. I'm going to post below most of the email she sent out on our rescue forum because I think a lot of what she said is very important. If you use this contact information and talk to Lindy or anyone else at Target, please post and let us all know what you talked about and if anything came out of it! Thanks!

I decided to contact the Target Consumer affairs division this morning about this serious problem. First let me post that number along with the contact person and case number.

Phone 1-800-555-1212
Contact- Lindy
Case #1-321-450-426

I explained to her that while we are well aware that we are using this product (product # 085 110175) for something other than its intended use, that it is commonly used nation wide for our purpose and has been for quite some time. I told her that it was no longer of any use for us and that there had also been at least one possible case of a death. She has asked for more information about the death. Can anyone put me in touch with the person that lost their pig? They would very much like this information and I would like to be able to provide it for them. Also any first hand problems could and should be reported to them using the information above. I also told her that while we are able to find a similar product (at least for the time being) at other places, they are much more costly. We really like the product and price at Target.

Lindy was very sympathetic and also supplied me with contact information for the actual manufacturer I will be getting in touch with them after the holiday. I asked her to please do some research online to see what a large amount of cages are made out of this product and to try to consider this when dealing with this issue.

I'm asking you all to start posting on your pig and rabbit forums contact information for Target and to try to get people nation wide to get in touch with them. While I know a few of you have looked for other sources, my fear is that the grids are all coming from the same manufacturer. When the current stocks are gone they could all be the larger grids. Target is a caring community minded company and a large player for any manufacturing company. We need to let them know how badly we need to be able to continue to purchase this product. We need to put some POLITE pressure on them. Remember that in using this product not for its intended use we truly have no legitimate complaint. So act accordingly when contacting them. We need a BIG IMPORTANT FAVOR from them.

Application screeners, also please be aware that you will have to be sure that your applicants check the actual size of the squares within the grids. The product being offered by the other sources could change at any time. One other issue that has only occurred to me while writing this so I did not mention it this morning to Lindy is that there are most likely hundreds of publications on the web and in print advising people on this type of cage construction. It may be an issue we will be dealing with for a long time.

Again anyone that can put me in touch with the person that lost their sweet pig please try it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading everyone. If you can contribute any information, please call Target. Remember to be polite. If you volunteer with a rescue, it might also be helpful to post here how you are currently dealing with this problem. If you have any websites with information about where to buy grids or make cages printed on it, you may want to somehow modify it.

My friend mentions one person we have heard of whose pig died from an accident with the new grids. If you know this person, or of anyone whose pigs have had tragic accidents with the new grids, you can PM me and I will put them in touch with my friend, or just have them call Target directly. However, if anyone calls Target directly about this, can you also post that on here so we know someone did?

I also posted this on the guinea pig cages forum, and may put it a few more places, wherever I find that I can post and it might be of some use to others.

Thanks everyone.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:45 am

Is there an email or fax # to reach them at as well?

PigWooBus

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:47 am

I'll find out... I don't have one right now. If all else fails, I'll call the number and ask for an email or fax.

ETA: I know she was planning on following up with the manufacturer after the holiday, so I will update when I hear back about that, too.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:50 am

I wonder if Target is interested that the next most available product is only found at Walmart?

PigWooBus

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:00 am

Really, what are you using from there? We have been shopping around for other grids but haven't come up with anything too great yet. There's those whitmor ones, but I heard you have to order them online (and I bet they're heavy, which means $$$$ for shipping and handling usually). I saw something on the Bed Bath and Beyond website I was going to go check out. And I have seen a few mesh grids, very very tiny holes.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:03 am

With Walmart you can do "ship to store" with free shipping. You have to pay online and pick up in store, but at least there's no shipping to worry about. We have recently gotten word there are grids there in the dish rack aisle. I'm off to check mine out tomorrow (had to clean the piggie cage and it got late so I'm snuggling them instead, poor me right?).

Basically, this is the ONLY place we've found them other than Costco. Costco, of course, is members only although I'd bet most people have at least one friend with a card.

PigWooBus

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:13 am

My boyfriend's mom has a costco card!

I have to run some errands tomorrow, so maybe I'll visit Walmart, too, while I'm out. Thanks, rshevin.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:15 am

PigWooBus thanks so much for posting that!

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:25 am

PigWooBus,
I sent you a private message through the GL mailer.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:44 am

Go to the walmart website and search by whitmore storage cubes. It pops up their grids. You choose site to store option.

A few bucks more than Target but you don't have to pay a shipping fee unlike other sites and you just go to the store to pick up.