Purdie - Blindness?

MuffinFace

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 pm

I have a question. If the dx is IC, why the long course of abs? This seems to be (almost) standard protocol with suspected IC pigs, but since IC doesn't have anything to do with bacteria, I'm wondering why we risk messing up their guts for extended periods of time if the cause isn't, ultimately, bacterial. Is it to rule out the possibility of a stubborn UTI? Do abs actually do something to help reduce the bladder wall thickening? Am I missing something and the cause of IC really IS bacterial in origin?

I'm only asking because I'm about to go through this whole rigamarole with Astro. :( She's so tiny, I don't want to do ANYthing that could compromise her eating habits, but her overall health obviously comes first.

Sorry for the minor hijack. I'm just super curious, and this is the major IC thread going right now. Booooooo on IC.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:01 pm

This is an extremely good question.

My gut guess is that ruling out a stubborn UTI may be part of it, but I also suspect that vets give AB's (albeit safe ones) when they don't know what else to do.

I'd love to hear from some of our real med pros on this question.

Trick

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:54 pm

For Purdie it is to make sure that it is not a stubborn UTI, as I believe there are some infections that can take at least a couple of weeks to shift. Purdie had been on Baytril twice and Bactrim once already but both for only 10 days which wouldn't have been long enough. This time she is to be on the Bactrim for 3 weeks.

If after that (or regardless of that) she continues to struggle then it will no longer just be suspected IC :/

I think the vet also wants to monitor her properly after the two weeks to compare with the results at the first visit, as it was a different vet practise we went to for the previous treatments.

I'm still working my way through all those IC threads but I think some pigs have received pulse AB therapy which has helped?

MuffinFace

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:24 pm

I think the pulse AB therapy might be a bit of a placebo - given the fact that IC itself comes and goes within days, who's to tell if the AB therapy actually helped?

I think the stubborn UTI thing is a good thing to rule out at the onset of piddle problems - but after that, I dunno. I, too, haven't actually digested all of the IC threads (though I've read all of them - and then my eyeballs nearly fell out). It just seems like given what IC actually is, the only thing you can really do is to manage the pain and make sure the pig in question is getting plenty of fluids. Maybe polycitra to help prevent stones later? Anyway, be sure to keep us updated on how Purdie does with the longer course of ABs - best wishes for her. Astro sends her empathy. :-/

EDIT: Talishan, I thought you WERE one of our medical experts! :D

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:34 pm

I have you fooled. ;-)

I know a little bit about what I've directly had to work with, but I haven't had an IC case ... yet, anyway.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:58 pm

I thought so too, MuffinFace!

Talishan always gives good advice. It is clear how to take it - that it is advice, experience, and possible directions to pursue. A good vet is always vital to any treatment and is your best resource.

p.s. I LOVE your links posts, Tracis!
Did want you to know that putting a BOLD tag in front of the list throws off the alignment in Opera. I've been moving the [ b ] to follow each *.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks, Lynx! I had no idea about the bold tags. I will remember. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 pm

I always put them right next to the words I want to be bolded. It's the most direct and nothing seems to be messed up. When the tags start before the [ list ] tag or [ * ] tag, things do seem to be thrown off.

I really like how you are adding a sentence to summarize the post. It gives people an idea of what the content is without reading the whole thing - but they can read the whole thing if they want too.

We just have so much info here it is overwhelming.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:05 pm

And Tracis is doing a d@mn good job of organizing it, too. ;-)

MuffinFace

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:11 pm

No kidding. Her ability to dig up relevant info is mind-boggling. And I thought *I* was good at using search features! I can find nearly anything on Google, but bringing up specific threads here on GL always leaves me stumped. Thank goodness for tracis. :)

Trick

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:46 pm

It's about a week in now I think and Purdie is still crying when she pees. Not all the time, but that is the same as before. She isn't crying as much so the Rimadyl seems to be having some pain relief effect but not as much as I had hoped.

Her follow up is next week, but I'm definitely worried that the pain relief doesn't seem to be strong enough, especially as she is on the correct dose for her weight.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:53 pm

No advice here just fingers crossed for Purdie.