Purdie - Blindness?

Trick

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks Bugs Mom :) I know we are working on getting her sorted, but it's so hard to see her cry even a little when she pees. She's being such a good girl at taking her meds as well, I just wish I could tell her we were trying to make her better.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:36 am

Here's how it happens with my Momo: She seems to have 2-3 days off where she cries when she pees, and when i pick her up i notice her vagina is wet and there's alot of calcium deposits.
I give her extra fluids that day and some metacam and she seems to do fine for the rest of the day.

Then on the second or third day she becomes totally fine, no crying at all and no wet bottom. Then after 3 weeks or so it repeats itself again.

Have you tried increasing fluids with Purdie? I do hope she finds some confort soon.

Trick

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:39 am

I'm giving Purdie extra fluids via syringe, and we also have a couple of water bottles dedicated to cranberry water now which seems to increase fluid intake of everyone.

With Purdie, I'm having a hard time detecting a pattern. I think that if there is a pattern, it actually changes every few hours at most rather than being in days :/ There isn't a day goes past when she doesn't cry when she pees, but she doesn't cry every time she pees. Her bottom is dry and there are no white deposits.

She is definitely crying less now which is something at least :/

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Without reading back, have you tried using Metacam? It may be more efficacious for Purdie. It varies by animal.

Trick

Post   » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:44 am

We haven't tried Metacam yet no, I think we will switch her on Thursday at her check up. I didn't hear her crying yesterday which was nice, but may well not mean very much.

Trick

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Apologies for my absence, I haven't had much online time lately.

Purdie was given Metacam to have at 0.2ml daily for the last two weeks. At first I noticed no improvement but now I think I can say that it is more effective than the Rimadyl was. However, it hasn't got rid of the pain completely by any means, she still cries every day :/

Our next appointment is tomorrow morning, I really hope we can get her some relief soon. I will ask about Polycitra and I'm going to look online as to where to get Shilintong.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Poor Purdie!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Fingers crossed you can get some good answers for Purdie.

MuffinFace

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 pm

So is she off a/bs for good now? You're just trying to manage the pain, and add in maybe some Polycitra and/or Shillintong?

ALSO. My vet, weirdly, suggested that in some other small animals, glucosamine had been shown to improve some of the symptoms of IC. Has anyone heard of this??

Gaaack. I hate IC.

Trick

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:20 am

This weekend is her last doses of the Septrim, she's going to be heartbroken as she loves that banana juice! I'll need to find a good substitute to distract her through this traumatic event!

The vet was really pleased with Purdie's progress actually. I guess because we are seeing it day by day we hadn't seen just how much better she had got in just two weeks. Her Metacam is now down to 0.15ml a day and she hardly cries at all now which is such a huge improvement! We're going to take the metacam as low as we can gradually for now. We'll also see how she does without the Septrim.

I'm going to look online for shilintong to see if that can help get rid of the last little bit of un-comfortableness for her.

All in all Purdie is doing a lot better, just a matter of trying a few different things now (lowering the metacam, getting shilintong etc) to see if we can tweak her system even better.

She is still, as ever, the happiest little piggie you could find :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:59 am

Maybe keep giving the banana juice for a bit? The put down a plate, squirt the banana juice on a few pellets or something? Gradually kinda ween Purdie off?

Trick

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Ooh, that's a good idea :D I'll do that, thanks Lynx!