Boars Behaving Badly

Feylin

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:01 pm

haha, oh yes we do! Fred is only 1! He's a big boy for his age and unusually mature, but he's still just a kid. :D

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Heeeeelp!

I have decided ignorance can be a good thing. I raised two boars from babyhood to 3-year-old adulthood without incident. There was no humping, no chasing, no boar stink, nothing.

Well, then I discovered Guinea Lynx and its wealth of information about boar behavior. I remember thinking how lucky I was that my boars were well-behaved and had resigned themselves to a life of chastity.

When one of my boys passed away, I did want any loving "mother" would do, I added two baby boy boars for company. After all, what could go wrong?

Um....yeah. At five months old, Cookie and Oreo have hit adolesence. Not the peaceful, calm adolescence I'm used to. The kind of adolesence that Feylin writes about.

My eyes are now blurred and stinging from the toxic fume cloud of boar stink eminating from my precious boys. Oreo and Cookie have decided to hump anything and everything that they can reach. My three year old boy is holding his own against the hormonal teens, but what I worry about his little heart. He's a hefty boy and gets around fine, but he's 3 1/2 pounds. Will he get a little heart attack from being chased by the little ones? There has never been a problem with them getting along.

I have even sacrificed my favorite IKEA piggie to appease the "hormone gods". As you can see from the pictures below, the offering has been accepted.

Oreo, the main raging hormone, welcomes the newcomer.

Cookie thinks that looks like fun and gives it a try.

I have many inappropriate captions I could label this photo, but I will stick with a "G" rated one. All three pigs introduce themselves to the visitor.

My first inclination is to separate Peanut (older boar) to "protect" him. I now know this is normal behavior for boars. I know it takes months for them to grow out of it. But, do they ever take a break? I really am concerned about my fat piggy's health having to fend off suitors. Any advice would be welcome.

P.S. They've been very vocal for the past hour, talking and chirping like a flock of birds.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm glad they have a sacrificial guinea pig to torture rather than your oldie but goodie.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 pm

Oh, look at them! They are having such fun being boys. If you go back a page or 3 you will see Edward violating our exact same stuffed toy.

Someone should seriously tell Ikea what's happening to their stuffed pigs.

Anyways, no, I'm pretty sure your boy will not have a heart attack from all the running around. (Assuming he has no heart issues!) It's probably good for him to get some moving and exercise- you can even allow a bit of weight loss as he gets into shape!

Personally, I think the boys enjoy all their various male antics. Mine chatter and talk constantly to one another when they are not humping or peeing on someone. Yours look like happy happy boys!

I do have to say though- how big is that cage? I'm noticing TONS of small spaces perfect for arguments. I'd get rid of that wood house, put the fiddlesticks so that each end has an oppening (you've got it backed up to the wall), ditch the grassy tunnel for now (keep it for floor time). Instead, streatch a towel over each end to make little sleeping areas. THe boys can feel safe with out feeling trapped if one of the other guys comes over.

Also? I see that your trouble maker is a black and white roan. My 2 worst ones are the same. I think there's something in the genes that includes too much attitude.

(Edited to remove the non PG rated comment!)
Last edited by Feylin on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Hey Feylin, we like to keep the public board PG, or at least PG-13 rated. Just kinda in general. Kids and families and such.

Lovemypig

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Someone should seriously tell Ikea what's happening to their stuffed pigs.
*snort*

Oh my gosh, I just discovered this thread. I have tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard. My daughter just walked in, saw the tears and assumed I was upset about Quilt (as I usually am while updating his medical thread). Too funny.

This is a great thread for her to see as she use to get furious with Spice for humping my poor, sweet Quilt. They are now separated. We gave Spice a little stuffed (dog-toy, pig-safe) Skunk for his, um, manliness but he has yet to assert himself with it. Perhaps an Ikea pig is in order.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm

I hate being the stick in the mud. :-( I agree it was a funny comment but I think your edit is good.

LANDREWS

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:02 pm

LOL! I could not help but crack up laughing at this thread. If you are an owner of sows, you have never had the ummm what's the word...privilege..okay maybe incorrect word but the smell of boar stank. BLAH! I thought I was going to throw up when I first smelled it. That dang IKEA guinea pig. I'm going to have to look into getting one of those for each of my boys. LOL! Those Ikea lady sows seem to be rather popular.
I can only imagine what those boars are thinking.

Boars- "Hey you naughty girl"
IKEA GP - "..................."
Boars- "Come here often?"
IKEA GP - "..................."
Boars- "Well, I guess she's playing hard to get! Even better!"

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:31 pm

LOL well as only a owner of sows I get much amusment in reading Feylin's stories and other boar stories from boar moms...I also breathe a sigh of relief sometimes lol

I have a horrific scenario in my head... I'm imagining the Boar Funk would probably smell similar to boyfriend flatulence or at least as strongly LOL...and that would just not be good I deal with that enough as it is!!! (too much information? lol).

Feylin

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 pm

LMP, I'm glad it made you laugh so hard!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:57 pm

If your boyfriend doesn't have clostridium or a yeast infection of the guts, then, no, it doesn't smell as bad as boar stank.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 am

Becksters, e-mail me your address and I'll try to send you some in the mail if I can have the privilege of capturing some for you :) (Totally kidding!!)