Link between skin cancer and moisturisers in hairless mice

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:40 pm

I found this article last night and thought it would be of interest to those of you with Skinnies even though the study was done on hairless mice. I have no idea if it would affect Skinnies the same way, just wanted to give a heads up.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbe ... and_m.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Interesting.

They should also have had a control group that just got the sunlight and no moisturizer. It could be the moisturizer has nothing to do with the cancer, just the uvb rays.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Good point!
"...they found was that the moisturiser significantly increased the rate of both the formation and growth...." This would imply that they had a basis for comparison, but they should have been more specific! I have *heard* that oils can magnify sunlight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 pm

Yes, rereading it does seem that may have been indirectly covered.

They wrote: "Also included in the paper are the results of a fifth, custom-made moisturiser, that the researchers asked Johnson & Johnson to make without mineral oil and sodium laurel sulphate. The researchers with Johnson & Johnson have patented the new cream, say Reuters, which had no significant effect on tumour formation or growth."

This would imply that it is indeed those moisturisers, not just any sun exposure.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 pm

That's the way I took it. I don't use any moisturizers on my Skinnies, but I know some people do and thought it would be a good idea to post this here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I wish we knew what it was about the tested moisturizers that caused the skin cancer.