Chava medical thread

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:05 pm

Perhaps the time is right to remove the eye if it's bothering her. Or, there's a procedure performed on humans called evisceration, which sounds gruesome, but it removes the painful inside of the eye and leaves the "shell" of the eye. That might be dangerous for a guinea pig, but at least maybe she could have the scab taken off and the fluids drained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eviscerati ... halmology)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 pm

It does look like it would be uncomfortable. I hope they can do something to help.

Sweaterjunkie

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:44 am

Actually, after the other night, Chava seems fine again. As I type this, she is eating her vegetables happily. Earlier tonight, I was attempting to remove a piece of bedding that was stuck to the scab, and it (the scab) popped off. picture below:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151 ... CF1547.jpg

Now that she can close her eye around it again, it no longer appears to be bothering her at all. we're continuing the drops. What do you guys think?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 pm

That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It seems to be ... healing dying? Dying healthily? I don't know how to phrase it.

I'd continue the drops but skip a vet visit for right now. Your photographs are excellent quality. Will Dr. N. or anyone at Adobe be willing to look at the photo and give you an idea if she needs to be seen relatively quickly?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:29 am

I'm so glad she is more comfortable. Cropped versions of your pics on 9/14 here:

www.guinealynx.info//Sweaterjunkie-7.jpg
www.guinealynx.info//Sweaterjunkie-8.jpg

And a cropped version of this pic here:

creatingamy

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:47 pm

I just want to say thank you so much for documenting this! My poor boy leapt out of his cage last night and nose dived 3 feet to the floor. When we picked him up we saw that his eye had been punctured. :*( I'll create a thread later when I have some pictures, as it does look different. But thanks again! I was desperate for any info/confirmation so I really appreciate it.

Fanofmydesign

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:28 pm

My guinea pig's eye is not exactly ruptured, I think, there was a point two days ago it looked very similar to one of the early pics, but the way hers has progressed is very different.

My vet told me it would be better for the eye to shrivel than to surgically remove it; I feel a bit dubious about this.

You're the only person I've seen given the same advice--did it work? How long did it take? Did it ever cause her problems after?

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:28 pm

I had a Boston Terrier years ago whose eye looked very much like the picture. It ruptuered and had to be removed. My dog lived a couple afterwards with no problems.

I hope your little one gets better, Fanofmydesign. Best wishes from me and my girls.

Lana

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Fanofmydesign - SweaterJunkie has not posted since 2008. Try PMing her ri ask her to update the thread.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:00 pm

The email to her bounced to my admin account. It looks like it is no longer valid.

creatingamy

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm

I found this thread because my guinea pig Bo had a freak accident & actually jumped out of his cage. (He was about 1 1/2 yrs, abyssian, intact male.) He landed face-first on the floor, three feet down, and ruptured or cut his eye. Luckily he healed just fine, but here is the story in case it helps others. Sorry no pics, but they just show the cloudiiness & slight deformation of the eye.

The actual cut on the eye was superficial. The first vet visit we got pain meds & an eye drop antibiotic (I think!) We were concerned that it may have to be removed, but by his second visit a week or two later it was much better already. According to the vet, the cornea bulged forward and 'sealed' the cut, preventing it from shriveling up or getting infected. Pretty much a "best case senario." We kept him on antibiotics for a month just in case. It healed surprisingly quickly, and he regained sight in the eye over time. His eye still looks like it's conical shaped or something, but that is just the optical illusion of the cornea... in reality it's still round like normal. The cloudiness has totally cleared up.