Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I was going to check LNT myself to see about their grids but my first opportunity to go isn't until Tuesday. I don't remember seeing grids at Lowe's/HD, only closet organizer bins, etc.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:42 pm

I've seen them at either Lowes or HD only once and I can't remember which one it was (I'm leaning towards Lowes as my memory is blue, but my memory is also functionally dysfunctional). Thanks for checking LNT. If I make it before you, I'll post what I find.

My local Target still has old grids in black, blue, and chrome. I too am noticing a lot of boxes open but given the lack of guinea pig popularity in this area, I have to wonder if they're using cheaper glue versus people opening boxes. It would make sense.

Cellar Door

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:31 am

lol it may have been me. I went into Target and opened almost all the boxes to make sure I was getting the 9x9 square grids. I'm sure they hate me now and have my picture hanging up somewhere.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 am

You know there's a picture on the front of the box that shows which grids are in which box right? :-P

Besides, I was looking in Alabama. I think there are exactly 3 people with C&C cages in the whole state and all of them are members here!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:04 pm

Cellar Door have you gotten your Coroplast yet? We can get our coroplast for free from this sign store in Hyatsville/Riverdale, MD, next to Franklin's on Route One. Just get the manager and tell him it's for Guinea Pigs.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 pm

How sweet of the owner! I didn't know it at the time, but there's a GP friendly sign store in southeastern VA that gives discounts for pig cages too.

Cellar Door

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 pm

"You know there's a picture on the front of the box that shows which grids are in which box right? :-P"

I know. I didn't want to risk it though because I had opened one box that had the 8x8s but the picture showed 9x9s. I guess I was just being paranoid.

IRT GuineaPinny:

I'll have to write down that information. I haven't bought any coro yet because I really don't plan on getting guinea pigs for another year maybe year and a half mainly due to money. I'm saving up a little fund for vet emergencies and just basic items needed for the guinea pigs. I'm doing pretty well so far. I'm looking for a better paying job.

Duchess8799

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Please excuse my ignorance here, I have no idea how I missed this thread before. How did the pig die with 5x5 and/or 8x8 grids?

My pigs are with my parents and I don't know if they've gotten any more grids recently, so IF they did, would the new grids still be ok for the roof or floor, or does the problem have to do w/ the connectors or construction apart from the size of the holes?

Cellar Door

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:21 pm

I think the problem is that the pigs get their heads caught in the larger squares and choke from it. I'm sure it would be fine to use these grids for floors because they're covered by the coroplast but I'd be a bit weary when using them for a roof. Never know if a piggy might be tall enough to reach them.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Cellar Door-hearing about plastics going up, you might want to get your coro now from this guy, especially if you're going to be in the area checking the PG county target. Call ahead and he'll even leave it aside for you if he's not going to be there. Since it's flat you can leave it under a mattress or something. It might wind up being a huge money saver later.

Cellar Door

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm not going out to PG County anymore because I already purchased my grids. That was the only reason I was planning on going out to PG.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:47 pm

Also with the 5x5 grids the pigs can walk straight through, meaning straight out of your cage into whatever hazards lay beyond. The new grids will be fine for the floor underneath the coroplast and in some situations for a stand (if your pigs don't have floor time around the underside of the cage). I'm wary of using them as a lid if the pigs could get up there on top of a pigloo, loft, or similar structure.

I'd give your parents a call and ask them not to buy any more grids. If they need to redo the cage, give you a call and you'll help them find the right ones.