Show Your Fleece!

Feylin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:18 am

Like the Show Your Cage thread, but show us how you set up your fleece in the cage. We all set things up a little differently, and I've learned many good tips from reading the various fleece threads.

So, I thought it would be a good idea to post our methods all in one place as a way to share and learn. Tell us how big your cage is, what you put underneath the fleece, how you deal with the sides, how often you clean it, washing, ect.

My fleece!
I put 3 layers of towels underneath. Then I put the big fleece over top of that and pin it to the grids with clothespins. I use smaller squares of fleece laid on top plus various beds.

To clean it, I roll up the squares every day and shake the poops out. Once a week I strip the whole 2x10 cage and wash everything in 4 or 5 loads of laundry.

What do you do?

Danke-knot

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 am

I didn't really use fleece, but I used to manually clean out the poo, then (because it was only a single, small blanket at the time) I steam cleaned it. Before you ask, it was because the person who had built the cage somehow managed to nail hte blanket to the flooring, so steam cleaning was really the only thing I could do. And it actually worked better than my washer & dryer.

Edit: This was a long time ago, just so theres no confusion.

Keezy

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:31 am

I have a 3x5 C&C. I use a layer of towels, then a sheet of fleece. (I wish I had some awesome patterns -- right now I just have solids; light blue, grey, pale green, and a chocolatey brown)

I don't see the need in any more towels, as my pigs don't really pee on the fleece. There's the occasional poop, but that's it. I have on of those ugly, woven mats at one end of the cage, with a "kitchen" set up on that. I bought a long, low plastic bin and cut an entrance into it. From there I fill it with aspen, put a paving stone beneath the hay rack, and put in the food dish.

I use a brink in each corner to hold the fleece in place/stop them from tunneling behind the "kitchen".

I change the "kitchen" every Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday. I wash and change the fleece every Tuesday and Friday.

ETA: Pictures, hehe. :P

Last edited by Keezy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:34 am

Pictures, you guys. Doesn't the title say "Show your fleece"?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:38 am

Pictures, you guys. Doesn't the title say "Show your fleece"?
*giggling* I thought the exact samething.

Keezy

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39 am

Excuse the mess in my cage. :O I haven't gotten around to spot cleaning this morning!

Feylin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 pm

I can't get at Flickr, or I would have pictured the fleece. I'll do it whenever Flickr decides to work again.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 pm

I think my litter box is too small. My pigs push it around. Maybe if I used bricks, like you, Keezy, it may help.

HazelNut

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:07 pm

I don't have any great pictures. But for Harry and Ron's cage I have 2 different sets of cage blankets by windespirit on the lower floor and underneath I put puppy pads. On the mid level I have towels, sometimes a fleece blanket, and underneath either puppy pads or this crib mattress protector left from when Ethan was a baby. On the top level I have a layer of puppy pads under a long cut of fleece. For cleaning I dustbuster poops and then do a full cage clean every 7-10 days.

Lower level (before I had the mid and top)

The rest

And for Mr. Foster I just have a layer of puppy pads and then fleece in a 2x3[/img]

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:10 pm

I am using fleece pads. I was using 2 layers of mattress pads with a layer of fleece. My cage is rather large so cleaning such big pieces in my washer was difficult. So, I now have a combination of different size fleece pads. The I have two types, those that I bought from The Cozy Cavy and those that my stepdaughter made for me. I originally tried to make one layer of the fleece pads. However, they didn't fit completely across the cage so now I overlap them. I have recently started putting newpaper in the bottom level so I just shake out the fleece pads over the newspaper and then roll it up. I think it makes cleaning the cage easier.

The other side of the cage is the "kitchen" area.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Do those of you with a kitchen area find the pigs spending more time there than the other section?

Feylin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Depends on the pig. I have a few who love to sleep in the hay, and another few who love to eat constantly all day. They stay in the kitchen area!