Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 am

So, does anyone think the newer grids will work as supports only? I think I may have to buy one more box. If I can use that for the floors and supports, I will have plenty of the safe grids for the living areas.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 am

I wouldn't use the 5x5 grids for long, unsupported spans, but yes, I think they'll both be fine most anywhere else. The weight recommendations are the same for both old and new style grids when built as recommended.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 am

I just counted everything up and it looks like I'll need 2 boxes. I wonder if my Target will still have the old ones. (fingers crossed). Aren't there 8x8's out there somewhere too? I only need about 30 more grids so maybe if I used a combination for the floors it would be ok. Terry can fashion some wood supports to run the length of any long spans. That should do it.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:04 am

The new boxes have ~6 5x5 and ~9 8x8 mixed together.

Your cage is black right? You should still be able to find black 9x9 in store. Be sure to check the box picture carefully.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:14 am

Yes, I have black. And I have 2 different Targets I can check today. I'll let y'all know what I find later tonight or tomorrow.

I may even open the boxes just to be sure what I'm getting!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 pm

The 8 by 8s would probably be okay for supports but they are not safe for side walls. The gaps are bigger.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:36 pm

I found 2 boxes of the old 9x9's at my Target. I think they only have one or two left!

I have about 125 of the older ones right now so there was no question they would've been used for the living area. Now I have plenty with my 2 new boxes! Yay!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm

I just got a batch of grids and connectors for a couple bucks (used). I think a box' worth. I figure they will come in handy for someone! (the old style of 9X9)

Thearina

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:56 am

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering how you can tell if the grid are the 9X9? I have one adult male guinea pig that I got a little over a month ago that is housed in a super pet cage, but I'm wanting to build him a c and c cage. In a couple of days I'm getting 2 female guinea pigs from a lady off craigslist and they are also housed in a super pet cage, so I plan on building them a c and c cage as well. The closest target is over 100 miles, but I plan driving and looking at their grids in a few days. But i want to make sure i buy the right grids when i get there. If target doesn't have the right grids I'll just order them from walmart.com, but would rather go to an actual store in person to get them.

How can I tell just by looking at the picture on the box that their the 9X9 grids and not the 5X5 or 8X8? A local sign store sells coroplast in 4X8 sheets. Is that size okay or do I need to get bigger sized sheets? I would appreciate any advice.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:14 am

Coroplast only comes in 4x8 sheets so you are good with that.

As far as the grids, just count the openings. The grids you want have 9 openings across. You can kind of tell by looking at thebox, but since you are traveling such a distance, I would just open the box. If they say anything to you, just tell them why.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:46 am

Make sure the grids are the ones in the first picture, not the second or third:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 88#1397388

rshevin

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:35 am

Thearina, do you have a Walmart closer? Walmart has grids that you can do ship to store. Basically you buy them online but instead of having to pay shipping you pick them up from customer service at a Walmart you choose. The Walmart grids are the safe 9x9 kind. I'd hate for you to drive 100 miles and possibly not find what you're looking for.