dosage for HCG shot for ovarian cysts

scottg

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Mousey, who is over 5 years old and defintely NOT getting any surgery, got a shot to reduce her ovarian cysts back in April. She had crusty nipples and hair loss and her sides.

A couple weeks after her shot, her nipples got better, and her hair came back.

Now her nipples are crusty again, and her hair loss is back. I want to get her another shot. The vet who gave the shot is very far away, so I want to go to my regular vet close by, but she hasn't given this type of shot before.

Does anyone know the amount / dosage of HCG that their pig got for ovarian cysts, so I can give my vet some guidance? She'll most likely know the dosage, but I want to double check, thanks

also, does anyone know where this shot is usually given?

And no, i'm not going to try to give her a shot myself.

thanks

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Could you ask your far away vet to fax over the records for Mousey?

(I know my bird gets her hormone shots in her belly, and most of my pigs have gotten it in the scruff of their necks - but have not had any done in pigs ::crosses fingers:: )

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Pippin has been getting her shot in her hindquarters. But jeeze - only one shot? She's been getting them regularly every 3 weeks or so! I wish one shot in April would have done it for that long!

scottg

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:49 pm

Ok, 2 vet's near me don't have HCG, I'll try some more or I'll make another long trip, no big deal.

Every 3 weeks, wow, I didn't know some piggies needed it that frequently. do you see her symptoms clear up, and then come back in those 3 weeks?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Symptoms started to disappear after the first few weeks. But now they may be coming back. Shots were originally given a week or two apart. Currently they're 4 weeks apart.

Its been very time consuming!

piggy_vittles

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:11 pm

My Natalie got 1,000 U of Hcg in the scruff of her neck at her last checkup on August 20 for ovarian cysts. She had a follow up today and the vet was thrilled because she couldn't palpate the cysts. She told me the Hcg is not a cure, there would need to be more shots in the future, but she said since I take my piggies in for checkups every six months, we may be able to keep the cysts in check that way.

I wonder if the 1-2 week apart shots are a lower dose than what my Natalie got?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm

It may be. I will have to ask what the dose is. I know Pippin gets 0.5ml - but of course that doesn't tell you anything without the concentration.

Thanks for the info.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:54 am

I asked my vet. Pippin is getting 500u per shot. She weighs about 940-980g. How much does Natalie weigh? Or is this not a drug that's given by weight?

The vet told me she was dosing according to some guy's research - and I've *totally* blanked out on his name. Something that was published, but I can't find any information on the web.

Is there a guide somewhere, that states how the hCG dose should be calculated?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 am

Have him check Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

1000 units/animal IM repeat in 7-10 days.

I have the 4th edition. Subsequent editions should have this too. p. 190 in the 4th edition. Adamcak & Otten in 2000 published the guidelines Plumb is basing this on.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:57 am

I hope Mousey will feel better soon.

Trick's girl Rosie has been receiving hCG injections. Trick has been updating her thread regularly.

Elly

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:17 am

My exotic vet is happy to help other doctors treat exotics. You can have your vet give mine a call. My vet treated one of my girls with hormones with great success.
http://www.gregrichdvm.com/index.html

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Trick's vet gives 1st shot then 2nd shot after 7-10 days then 3rd shot 21 days after 2nd. The 3 shots seem to work much better than 2 and any subsequent ones only when needed. I'm sure Trick will update when she sees this!