Possibly pregnant and I need ADVICE...

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Burgess? That's really the best if you can't get Oxbow. She will have the babies when you turn your back, most likely. Do you know how old she is? You should probably weigh her, them both, weekly, and the babies daily once they are born.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:13 pm

I'd hold off on the neuter until the babies are born. There could very well be a boy who can be a friend for Dad.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:22 pm

They should be pellets ONLY - no mixes with seeds, nuts or colored bits. Pet shops don't always know best.

Kamalia

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:45 pm

No mix? I'll get back to the pet shop tomorrow and get a food that is pellets only then (I didn't realise mixes were bad).

We were told she is about 4 months old (but considering they got her sex wrong, I'm not sure how much to trust that info).

And I will not get the male neutered until after the babies are born (if we need to, that is).

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:50 am

Now that my piggies are inside, and seperate, they seem to be staying quite still. They have tubes in their cages and places to hide etc but they just seem to be eating and drinking, then returning to the corner of their cages. Do you think they are just adjusting to being seperated? They can see each other from their cages by the way.

Maria1986

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 am

They may just be adjusting to being in a new place keep an eye on their weight though, as it is often the first sign that something is wrong.

Do you have a good cavy savvy vet lined up?
If not read over https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=

We have a few UK members on here that may be able to help if none of those vets are close to you, or try contacting a local cavy rescue and asking what vet they use.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Well, my other pig had to visit the vets soon after he came to us, as he had an abscess behind his eye (poor little fella). Had to have a 2 week course of antibiotics but he is fine now. I'll be sure to get her and babies checked out in due course. Thanks.

Feylin

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 pm

If they're coming out to eat I think they're ok. They should start being more active after a few days. Make sure you're weighing them. You can try sitting quietly next to the cages to help them.

How big are the cages? I've noticed that pigs often stay in one corner or hide in small petstore cages. When you put them in an appropriately sized cage, they start moving around more.

www.guineapigcages.com has directions for building rather inexpensive correctly sized cages.

Kamalia

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks for the link. They are moving around much more now, although they still have their quiet periods (which is normal I guess).

I'm still anxious to be able to tell how far gone mum may be - as I have no idea! As I do not want her to go in to labour without me on hand should she need me, I am checking her ever 2 hours during the day and night. However, she could be weeks away for all I know. Any ideas on how to tell how long she may have to go?

Thanks!

Kamalia

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi there,

Has anyone got any suggestions about how to tell how long she may have to go before she goes in to labour?

Thanks so much!

Kamalia

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:23 pm