EMERGENCY - Cavy swallowed my nosering

korupt

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm

It is a long story but she was playing, and natched my nose ring out. Yes, it hurt.

Despite all possible efforts and bit fingers, the nosering got swallowed.

The good part, i think, is its a cheap nosering. Aluminum. If she is like my other animals, between chewing and everything "else" the gets squished into a ball...

Bad news... she swallowed a post type nosering. I cant afford to take her to a vet right now due to some OTHER emergencies... what do I do?

She is a few months old. still small, but not tiny.

PLEASE HELP!
-Suzanne

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:03 pm

I hope your little guinea pig will be all right. Very scary.

It can take up to 30 hours for food to go through a cavy's digestive tract.

https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html#summary

If she were mine, I'd have her x-rayed by the vet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm

I think it's very unlikely that a post-type ring will go through her system without pucturing something internally.

You can wait it out - and she may well die (a painful death) - or you can get her xrayed asap.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:45 pm

As your title states, this is an emergency. She needs to see a vet ASAP, I can't really give you any other advice here.

korupt

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Ok, um... I appreciate the advice... but can you not make me feel like absolute scum for me not having the money for a vet? Emergencies happen to everyone.

I love Daisy.. more than any "human friend" I have.. but the truth is, I couldnt even afford to take MYSELF to thedoctor when I broke my toes. Its not like I am making a choice of something over her.. but there is X amount of money. I have X. Everything beyond X (including MY OWN MEDICINE) just cant happen. I am going to go make myself some more Ramen again and feel crappy.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:51 pm

No one is making you feel like absolute scum, they are saying that the best course of action is to take your pig to the vet.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 pm

No one has suggested that you are scum for not having money. It's true that accidents can happen to anyone.

Is there any way you can borrow funds from friends/relatives for a vet visit?

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:59 pm

No one has made any judgements about you here at all, so I don't understand your response. You asked what to do and you were told the best course of action.

Realistically, a post type nose ring will not go through your pig without causing internal damage. Something will be perforated. Then bleeding and shock will set in. Then you will need to take the pig to the vet anyway, to be humanely euthanized or watch it pass at home.

Listen, we all understand being short on cash. Call the vet and tell them what has happened and see if they are willing to work with you. Many vets will set up a payment plan for people who are hurting financially. The other option might be to see if there is a rescue in your area who might be willing to take the pig in and get it the medical care it needs.

The thing we DON'T want to see happen is that this pig is left to suffer due to lack of funds while you just sit and feel bad. You don't want that to happen, we know that! So, you need to make some decisions to prevent that from happening. It's part of being a responsible pet owner. I'm sure if anyone else can think of any other solution, they will come on and say.

SittenSpynne

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Honestly don't take anything people say as a judgment. You came here because you were curious what the best course of action would be, and the best course of action is to take the guinea pig to a vet. Whether or not you have the money does not change whether this is the best decision for the health of the pig.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 pm

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:40 pm

If anyone has specific experience with those they may want to weigh in, I am just linking what I saw the other day from a rescue site. I know Care Credit is often spoken of positively.

somechick

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:21 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway - do you have a credit card for emergencies you can use for this?

I don't have experience with internal earring puncture, but Piggie Crocket went into shock and was probably miserable seconds before her death. I was lucky she was at the vet at the time, so the Dr was able to, um, make it stop, but still. Sounds like something I don't want to have to see first hand.