EMERGENCY - Cavy swallowed my nosering

somechick

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Sorry I have a question about all of this. Even if she did get an x-ray, what could be done for the pig in this situation? Could the vet get the earring out?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Could the vet get the earring out?
I suspect it would depend on the skill of the vet and the location of the ring. At least it could be monitored and the pig humanely euthanized if necessary.

piggy_vittles

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:08 pm

Please let this be a reminder to all piggy lovers, please keep them safe! They depend on us completely for not only their physical needs (proper food, housing, water, medical care), but also for their safety! It's so easy to forget that there are so many hazzards around our houses, and on us! that can be devastating to our piggies.

Please take some time to evaluate your piggie's surroundings.

Are there large, heavy objects on the walls next to or above your piggies cages? All it takes is the rumble of a truck outside to vibrate the wall and cause a heavy object to fall right onto your little creature.

Do you leave the plastic bags just a little too close to the grids on their cage sometimes? They love to eat...nearly everything!

Do you hold them and snuggle while you're wearing a crocheted sweater or set them down on a knitted afghan? No matter how well-groomed their nails are, they can abruptly run and get a nail caught in the holes of our garments and linens.

Are your electrical, cable or telephone lines running out of the wall where you allow them floortime? Please don't think that because "they have always been permitted to be around those, they don't bother them and nothing's ever happened" that it won't. Piggies chew. Piggy mouths are wet. Live wires are dangerous.

I'm sure others can think of more hazzards, but please think about these things. It can save your piggy from unforeseen tragic circumstances. Most of the time, we never think it can happen to us...

Thank you!

undervenued

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:41 pm

You didn't really describe it from what I saw, but was it the WHOLE ring, or just the outside part? If the "lock" part was still attached, it could possibly go through? I don't know, i'm male and don't have a nosering (not Lenny Kravitz), just wondering.

Hope it all works out!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 pm

I wonder if it would stay in the stomach and not be able to enter the intestines (I don't know).

I'm sorry you're in this position. I know what it's like not to get care for yourself and not have much available for a pet.

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Did you say it was made of aluminum?

Can anyone give input as to what that metal might do if it stays in the pig's stomach?

korupt

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 pm

I called like... 30 vets.

NONE of them but one will consider payment arrangements. That one said basically.. sure, if yu can come up with a chunk up front.

To the people asking questions.. here is what the guinea piggy vet in birmingham said:

First off, he said panicking on this isn't going to matter.

IF it perforated, depending on where, he would do either a scope, or surgery, to fix it.

Given the size of the ring, it wouldnt perforate enough not to have symptoms FAR before it causing an issue.

However.. he said that given her size, she is big enough to pass it without it hurting her. Feed her lots of roughage and fiber, and watch her droppings. If she hasn't passed it by tomorrow afternoon, bring her in for an xray. They would try to work with me on payments, assuming i could come up with part of it tomorrow.

I decided not to get my meds refilled tonight so I could get her whatever was needed tomorrow. I am disabled due to a chronic pain illness, and Daisy keeps me sane, quite honestly. Shes my constant companion.

He said he felt the probability of her not passing it on her own, or if hurting her was extremely low, and that he had treated many animals (including cavys) that had eaten things they shouldnt.

So far.. she is happily munching on hay, eating carrots left and right, and playing, drinking lots of water.

He also basically said.. if by in the morning, she is acting normal, we are probably in the clear.

Oh and... no to the credit cards. Don't have any family other than equally broke husband, and my mom, who is going to try to help me on this. God love her, she already helps out alot.. i feel sick asking her. But... this IS the woman that had back surgery on a 15 year old weenie dog. The dog is now 18, and still very mobile.. and 3 other dogs.. and 2 cockateils.. and a parrot... yeah, she loves animals.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Thank you for checking back here. Many of us were concerned. I also hear about swapping your meds for your piggys. I've done it also as mine has a bad heart.

I hope all goes well with you and she does pass the ring. It must have been very small.

korupt

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:35 pm

"You didn't really describe it from what I saw, but was it the WHOLE ring, or just the outside part? If the "lock" part was still attached, it could possibly go through? I don't know, i'm male and don't have a nosering (not Lenny Kravitz), just wondering. "

Sorry I missed your question.. um, its a post type.. no lock.. has a ball at one end that you basically force through the piercing, and then the stud at the other end. all one piece, not really sharp edges or anything. Basically.. 2 knobs.

The next thing people ask is.. yes its painful to get in and out. But I take my nosering out MAYBE once every few months, so no biggie. She bit it and yanked it right out. Its not like I left her near little things... Lord knows, her "zone" is cavy friendly.. and yes.. it was excruciating when she did.. my eyes we all watering while I was trying to get it from her..

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Thanks for your latest post and please keep us updated.

Oh, ouch.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:46 pm

No sharp edges is better. Check the poops for the next 30 hours from when it happened. Be ready to take her in and do what you have to if it comes to that. Sorry about your nose.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Accidents happen; no one here meant to make you feel "like scum." They were really just trying to offer some useful advice. We can see you are trying your best.

Sending good thoughts your way for a positive outcome.