Can Piggies eat avacados?

Feylin

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:50 pm

I was just asking about oats- I got an overwhelming response that they are no good for pigs.

Carbohydrates breakdown quickly into sugars in the digestive tract. Too much sugar will disrupt the bacteria in the gut, which can lead to pigs not wanting to eat because they feel bad.

I'd just stick to feeding the normal diet plus a little bit of CC.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:53 pm

I've read that avocados are poisonous for dogs and birds, and someone on GL once posted an article advising against it for piggies (yet link was no longer active). I wouldn't risk it.

I've been struggling to put weight on a piggy, too -- please keep us posted if you find something that works!

patchsmummy

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:28 am

when I've nursed sick piggies, I've ground up some pellets, fruit and vegetables that are suitable plus crit care, and a small amount of home made porridge, without milk, oat bran is ok in smallish doses. Each pig has his favorate and make enough for 24 hrs, and dilute with water. Whatever you don't do is stick a tiny drop of whiskey or any other alcohol, Guineas don't tend to tolerate hangovers very well. I've kind of learned the hard way. I'm sure there was a page on hand feeding recipies, at one time. Guinea pig weights do fluctuate. I agree with others on avacados.