Possibly pregnant and I need ADVICE...

Maria1986

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:49 am

Can you feel the babies moving yet?

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:08 am

If she sits still on your hand, you can feel slight movement yes. Will the movement be more easily felt later or not?

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:20 am

Later in my sow's pregnancy I could feel AND see the babies moving. Usually delivery is only a couple weeks away once movement starts.

Elly

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:54 am

Another way to try to tell if the girl is getting close to delivering is to slide your fingers under her bottom. Just above her genitals you will feel 2 bone points. These are her pelvis points. Normally they are very close together (fingernails width apart). As she gets closer to delivery the points will spread. When your finger can easily fit between the points she is getting close and delivery will happen any time within the next few days (usually)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:22 pm

She is so pretty! What is her name?

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Thank you - her name is Spiderpig (was named by my 5 year old son, and we did think she was a boy)!! Her pelvis points have spread a little - I can just about fit my little finger in the gap.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Still no babies... gap is a little wider still (can get a whole finger in now). x

Kamalia

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Thought I'd post a quick update. Still no babies yet, I did see them moving yesterday though and Spiderpig keeps looking and scratching at her belly.

Just out of interest, is there any way to tell how many she may be likely to have? I know it can vary but I assume this is her first pregnancy, so do you think she'll only have one baby?

Daisy30

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 pm

If you take her in for an x-ray, the vet should be able to tell you how many. It's possible but unlikely for just one... I was hoping for only one when I rescued a pregnant pig (unknown to us at the time) but ended up with four healthy little darlings. Not sure if there's any way to tell how many there are by doing it yourself. About a week or so before Shadow had hers we took her in for an x-ray and the vet was pretty certain there were four. Good luck and I hope everything goes well!

Kamalia

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:29 pm

Okay, so some point today between 11.45 am and 2.45pm Spiderpig had her babies - 3 altogether but sadly two died. The surviving one was cold, so I have warmed he/she up and mum seems to be taking good care of it.

How mobile should the little one be? It is now at least 4 hours old and doesn't seem to be moving a whole lot. Is this normal? Also, I haven't seen it suckle but mum has been on top of it, so it would be quite difficult to see. Any info greatly appreciated! Thanks.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm very sorry for the 2 that didn't make it.

What did the 2 look like who didn't survive? What does the surviving babe look like? It is probably suckling while underneath mom. They are pretty poorly designed for nursing so the positions look awkward. I'll have to leave the other questions to the experts.

Kamalia

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:41 pm

He/she is all black (like his mum). One of the other ones was also black and one was brown (like my other guineapig who we think is the father). Thanks for your help. x