Valentine, convulsing during subcue

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 am

Here’s an update on Valentine.

Subsequent x-rays showed that the stones had not passed so we were keeping her comfortable with heart and pain medicines.

In January 2008, Mum (who has been incredibly helpful in so many ways), sent me a link posted by pinta about the drug Actigall for bladder stones.

I took that to Dr. R and here is his information:

I have been conservatively treating a 9+ year old female intact guinea pig for a 2 – 3 mm bladder stone. I did not believe she was a good candidate for anaesthesia and cystotomy based upon the size of her heart and her age.

At the urging of the owner and great information from www.guinealynx.info/, I started her on a regimen of Ursodiol (Actigall®).

In a little over 6 weeks the bladder stone resolved radiographically and the guinea pig’s clinical symptoms resolved (blood in the urine and discomfort urinating).

The dosage we used was:
Mix one 300 mg capsule of Ursodiol (Actigall®) with 2 mls of mixing liquid, give 0.5 cc orally one time a day for 8 days, then mix one 300 mg capsule of Ursodiol (Actigall®) with 4 mls of mixing liquid, give 0.5 cc orally daily for 1 – 2 months.

Sincerely,
William V. Ridgeway, Jr., D.V.M.
Long Beach Animal Hospital, Inc.
3816 E. Anaheim Street
Long Beach, CA 90804-4005

In addition to her medicine I supplemented her diet with Critical Care every day.

Valentine continued to have a great quality of life. She was happy, perky and very opinionated until a few days ago when she passed away at 4:00 a.m. in my arms.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:11 pm

And here are Valentine's xrays:

Before:

After:

Thanks so much for posting this update. With any luck many other pigs will be helped now!

I'm so sorry your Valentine is gone - she truly had a wonderful and long life with you.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm sorry. She was a beautiful pig.

DaCourt

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Dawn I am so sorry. Thank you for posting this. She was so pampered while living with her foster family and you were probably the only one who could have continued to serve this beautiful high maintenance pig the way you did. She was such a little princess.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm very sorry you lost your sweet Valentine. I'm glad she was able to have a good quality of life and passed on in the comfort of your arms. I think that's the best we can give them.

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm sorry, Pigginess.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:31 pm

What a wonderful age she lived to.

I'm so happy the Actigall worked and will send this link to Vicki of Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue who gave me the info.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 am

I'm sorry Valentine is gone, but I'm really glad she was perky and happy through the end.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 am

I'm very sorry that pretty Valentine is gone. She had so much happiness and love in your home.

Her medical story will bring hope to many guinea pigs and their owners.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:38 am

Thanks for your kind wishes everyone. We felt so privileged to have this special girl share our lives. We will always love and miss her.