Skinny Pig Data and T-4 count

pinta

Post   » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:23 am

Heart, Winky's mother, died of end stage heart disease March 31st, 2007 at the age of 3. Gretchen, his sister is still with us on vetmedin, fortekor, and occasional courses of Prednisone for assumed COPD. She's doing well all things considered but acts more like an 8-year-old than a 4.5-year-old.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:34 pm

Ok. Thanks for the good information. Winky has pericardial effusion.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:36 am

Winky died two days ago from heart failure. he was only 4 1/2 years old.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 am

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Winky. I am glad I was able to meet him a few months ago, after seeing his picture on Petfinder for so long.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:54 am

I'm sorry to hear about Winky too. Do you still have Boots?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:15 am

I'm so sorry, Charybdis.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Boots is our last Skinny.

Santo837

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:37 pm

I don't mean to sound stupid - what is a skinny pig? I'm assuming its a breed - if so what does it look like - and i am assuming T4 is blood work right? The same with humans?

And OMG PinkRufus are those Guinea Pigs in your picture!!!?? If so what breed is that - they are SOOOOO frign cute! AHHH! =)

Thanks Guys and Gals

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Skinnies are a hairless breed of guinea pig, there is a lot of controversy about them and they need special care:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=43

This thread is here to collect information about them (and T4 counts for all pigs), it's not supposed to be a discussion thread.

allcreatures

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:42 pm

I've got a non-skinny pig with confirmed hyperthyroidism. This is her on the left:

Ms Piggy: Intact female, brown & black, 4-6 yrs old (rescued in 2005 as a 2-3 year old adult). I've always considered her a teddy because her fur is sort of rough and crinkly, but not as much so as some true teddies I've had. It's possible that her thyroid problem gave her fur abnormalities maybe?

Symptoms: high appetite, high water drinking, high activity levels (frequent frantic gnawing at bars), persistent low weight (~600g) despite nearly unlimited pellet intake.

T4: 5.6 ug/dL
T3-A: 143 ng/dL

Two young, healthy animals were also tested as controls:

Skunky (intact female born May 2006)

T4: 1.7 ug/dL
T3-A: < 40 ng/dL

Dozer (neutered male, brother to Skunky, born May 2006)

T4: 2.3 ug/dL
T3-A: < 40 ng/dL

Ms. Piggy has been put on compounded liquid Tapazole twice a day, and has put on nearly 30 grams in the week she's been on it.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Glad to hear Ms. Piggy is responding to Tapazole. What is her Tapazole dose?

I had an older teddy with hypothyroidism.

pinta

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:15 am

The teddy connection to hyperthyroidism is intriguing. Is there some teddy in skinnies(genetic)? The hair skinnies have is teddy-like.