Possibly pregnant and I need ADVICE...

Suisan

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:22 am

I really doubt that she killed her babies. A sick mother doesn't usually give birth to very healthy babies.

I'm so sorry that you lost them. Take care of mom and take care of yourself.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 am

I suspect your vet is confusing Guinea Pigs with other species when he/she says your mom killed her babies. I don't know of anyone here who ever had a GP mom do her babies in.

The problem lay with the health of the babies not mom.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Here is a photo of the little one shortly before he died. Does he look normal size? I am 5'4" and don't have huge hands.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 pm

I got up during the night to check on mum and she was not looking good. Not moving at all and her breathing had become very laboured. Called the vets and they told me to bring her in. He gave her something to try and pick her up but wasn't hopeful. I brought her home and she died on my lap about 5 mins ago. This is such a sad end to what should have been a happy time...

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 pm

I'm so sorry. You were a good person to take these unfortunates in. Something in their prior life was just too much. Rest well sweet family.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:26 am

Oh no. I'm terribly sorry for your heartbreak.

Spiderpig and her little babies were so beautiful. They were so fortunate that they had your family to cherish them and care for them when they needed it most.

Again, I'm so sorry.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:48 am

I am so sorry. Thank you for loving them and giving them what they needed while they were with you.

xPiggiesx

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:05 am

I'm so sorry for your loss of Spiderpig and her babies.

Kamalia

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:40 am

Thank you all for your kind words. I now have to decide what to do for Fiddles, my male guinea pig. They have been seperated for the past 3 weeks (since we found out about the pregnancy) but they have been able to see each other all the time. I'm sure he'll be lonely now she's gone.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:00 am

I’m so sorry for your losses. I eagerly clicked on this thread to make sure someone had answered your question about the baby’s size. I didn’t expect to find such heartbreak. Losing all the babies is hard enough. To lose Spiderpig too is almost unimaginable. Pregnancy is so hard on guinea pigs. Give extra hugs and kisses to poor Fiddles.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 am

I'm sorry mom and babies didn't make it, they were so beautiful.

Your male should be ok with lots of attention from his humans. Maybe search out a UK rescue center near you to adopt a friend for him. I'm sure some of our UK members could help you if you post your general location. Maybe even start a thread in the placement section with your search.

Hugs to you and Fiddles.

ETA: The little baby looks normal to me. I've had little 2 ounce babies survive nicely. Unfortunatly, doesn't sound like you got mom in time to give her good pre-natal care. Even with the best care at times, this can happen too. Guinea pig pregnancy is so hard on the mom's.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 am

I'm so sorry.

I'd be very angry at that "reputable home". Along with this tragedy, Fiddles also came to you with a serious medical issue that probably would have been fatal if not treated.