Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Glad he's doing so well. I have a question. What kind of Cosequin are you giving him? Is it the one that comes from the vet and smells like liver? If it's not, where do you get it and what is the dose? Thanks.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:26 pm

I would like to try cosequin on Peanut. I have the same question as Bugs Mom...where did you get it? Can I get it in the supplement section at the store?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Talishan had some leftover Cosequin that she sent me. It's capsules filled with a powder and doesn't smell like liver. I just open the capsule and pour half the powder into a spoonful of baby food, then mix it up with pellets. Then I put the gooey pellets in the cage and Suzi tries to steal them all from Jackie. I know you can get Cosequin from a place like 1800petmeds but I'm not sure if you need a prescription from a vet. It's crazy expensive, though.

Oh, I had ordered Jackie the Care Bears cozy but it was all sold out. But guess what I got on Saturday? It seems my little weatherpig has a secret admirer! He enjoys sitting on the cozy and pooping on it, but the process of crawling into it is beyond his little brain.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 pm

OK, thank you. It sounds as though it's something my little one would actually take then. She hated the stuff from the vet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm

I don't think any prescription is needed.

http://www.entirelypets.com/cosregstren.html

Get the one with the little terrier-type dog's picture on the front (for lack of a better explanation). That is what Jackie is on.

Our Spikey actually liked the taste, but it didn't seem to do her much good. I am so glad to hear it's helping Jackie (and one less thing on top of my guinea pig medical supply area!!! :-)

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks Sal and Talishan. I'll have to order some for Peanut. She is on Metacam daily but I don't think it is enough and the Vet is hesitant to prescribe a higher dosage because of adverse effects. Hopefully we'll have good luck on the Cosequin like Wacky Jackie.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 pm

We used Cosequin for an elderly, very arthritic pig, and it seemed to make her a tiny bit more flexible; possibly more comfortable, but she was also on a low dose of meloxicam/Metacam.

JoePig

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Does Cosequin have reactions with other medications?

I am asking for future reference. My poor Benji had horrible arthrirs in his knees. But I could not give him Metacam because he was on medicine for his thyroid. If he had both medicines, Benji turned into a zombie.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Try using this link:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interactio ... 9,,00.html

The active ingredients of Cosequin are glucosamine and condroitin. This is entirely for human drugs though.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Jackie has still been stinking up his Care Bears cozy but he's had a rough 3 months. First his right eye was all drippy, then crusty, then both his conjunctiva were swollen. Suzi also had weepy, swollen eyes, so the vet (Dr. Belli in East Brunswick) gave them both a course of Bactrim. That didn't help, so he gave them Terramycin ointment and that helped Suzi's eyes and Jackie's left eye. Jackie's right eye was still gross though. The other day I was looking at his eye and I saw a small piece of hay wedged deep into his conjunctiva. I was able to bring it more to the surface but I couldn't get rid of it (I had no eyewash). The next day it was gone, and his eye is now a lot less swollen.

He lost weight from the Bactrim (he was having gigantic stinky poopmushes) even though he's tolerated it well in the past and was getting probiotics. I had to stop the treatment after only 7 days because his poopmushes were so bad. He hasn't really gained back any of that weight although his poops are nicer. He eats hay all the time (KM's 2nd cut timothy) and gets a limited amount of KM's timothy pellets, because too many results in mushy poops.

Since he lost the weight, he seems to have started having more trouble with his arthritis. The cosequin and metacam have helped, but he still seems to be uncomfortable. I upped his cosequin (a full capsule every night, split between him and Suzi) but haven't seen any improvement.

How can I get weight back on my stinky homeless old man piggy? He feels good enough to fight with his mother all the time. I just want him to have a little more chub. His mom is a total blimp and is doing well.

(Suzi is apparently very angry that I'm trying to improve Jackie's health--she erased this post once and tried to erase it again.)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Stop that Suzi!! We can love you and Jackie at the same time! : )

Cosequin gave my Lady Bug awful gas so if Jackie developes that charming problem that might be why. Don't know what to tell you about his weight. Hopefully he'll eat it back.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm

What about Critical Care? Apollo gets a little CC periodically to keep his weight up. I don't force feed him. He gets however much he'll take willingly, which seems to be about 10-15 ml at a time. I mix in a little pumpkin to make it more appetizing.