Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Our vet said that earlier this week, they removed a bladder stone the size and shape of a bar of soap from a black lab, so I know these things can get even bigger.

Is there any chance that Critical Care could be making this worse? We started giving him Critical Care about a month ago to help keep his weight up, but I'm wondering about it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm

I wish I knew what the best food/foods were. I think all I learn from sad cases like this is how little I know.

TWP_2

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:06 am

I wonder if Oxbow's information, which only gives calcium and phosphorous as percentage content, can be used to figure the Ca:P ratio?

If we do the surgery--which we are leaning toward--we want to try to do things right in his recovery period.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:26 am

They list:
Calcium(min) 0.40%
Calcium(max) 0.60%
Phosphorus(min) 0.25%
No maximum phosphorus is listed. You might write them.

If we guessed at a precise phosphorus ratio of 0.25%, that would indicate a range of 1.6:1 to 2.4:1 but one doesn't really know :-(

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Oh my gosh! What a horrible stone! I'm so sorry for all of you. I know how hard it is to decide on surgery. I know you will do what's best for Henry. Hugs to all of you, and best wishes for Tom, too.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 pm

After much discussion, e-mails to our K-State vet (who is now in Oklahoma) and watching Henry be perky again, we've decided to go ahead and schedule the surgery for tomorrow morning.

We might still change our minds. Our main driving reasons for planning to go through with it, though, are that Henry is still in good health otherwise and he is still perky and happy.

Our former K-State vet said that the Actigall might help prevent the formation of new stones, but she thought that the original stone was already so large that it was too much for the Actigall to take on.

Jim whipped out his science and math abilities and calculated that the stone has grown something like a millimeter a day.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Good luck Henry! We'll keep you guys in our prayers and thoughts.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:16 pm

We'll be thinking of you, Jim and Henry. Good luck Grandpa Henry! He's such a good boy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Yeow, a mm a day? Gee, if there is ANYONE I would wish would never see nother stone, it is you guys and your guinea pigs!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Sending good thoughts to you guys and Henry. That's got to be a champion stone he's growing poor guy. I still say "ouch"!

mab0615

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 pm

Sending good thought to you and Henry.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I hope everyone has a safe trip, and that the surgery goes smoothly for Henry. He is such an amazing guy.