Pandora and Perpetua

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Well, since Lynx has given me permission, I am starting a new thread for Pandora and Perpetua.

Here is the old thread: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... sc&start=0

This is my first pig, my darling Lightning, my avatar pig, who started it all:

http://www.cerridwin.org/jane/pigone.jpg

I got him April 6th 2003 through www.gpan.net .

Lightning was such a little darling he didn’t remain a solo pig log. About a month later I adopted Pippin through the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria. This is his “baby” picture:

Lightning died February 11th, 2005. A month later, Pandora, also from the Alexandria shelter, came to live with Pippin and me. Her original name was “Hannah,” but I wanted something mystical or mythological to go with “Pippin.” Here is her “baby picture.”

http://www.cerridwin.org/jane/lookright.jpg

Mercifully her body has grown to accommodate her ears and head.

Here is the picture of Pippin and Pandora that will be in the 2009 Pets of Alexandria Calendar:

Pippin died August 14th, 2008, my birthday. It was my worst birthday since the New York blackout five years earlier.

Eight days later, August 22, Perpetua came to the Montgomery County Humane Society:

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:51 pm

A wheekity wheek welcome for little Perpetua ! :)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:54 pm

How sweet.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:00 am

Welcome Perpetua! She's such a pretty girl.

I'm so sorry about Lightning and Pippin.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:17 am

Thank you. Pippin lived a good life -- five years and three months with me. Still, I miss him, in spite of having a new baby.

Perpetua came to the shelter with the unfortunate name of “Beet.” The children she delivered were named “Beet I” and “Beet II.” Her cagemate who came with her was named “Tomato” and I think delivered four babies. All were born VERY shortly after their arrival. Both girls were malnourished – Tomato was worse – you could see her skin through her hair. However, she looked better when I saw last saw her.

Perpetua came home with Pandora and me on October 2nd, 2008. I wanted a mystical/mythological name that would go with Pandora, so I came upon the name of Perpetua (darn spellcheck keeps showing up as misspelled)

She was named after St. Perpetua and after Bridget’s boss in Bridget Jones’ Diary. Also, Texcavy’s “Name that Pig” page came in handy. St. Perpetua of Carthage was a nursing mother who was attacked by a wild cow. Hence, she is the patroness of nursing mothers. And of cows:

http://www.stperpetuaparish.org/passion ... rpetua.htm

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Well I have had baby Perpetua two weeks now, and the girls have been living in quite a social whirl – vet’s office, and pignic one weekend and the Pet Blessing the next. Perpetua is finding her own voice – literally her vocalizations are almost as varied as Pippin’s and probably more than Pandora’s or Lightning’s.

Meanwhile, Pandora has become more intense about eating. Not eating more or eating faster or more slowly, she just seems more “into” her food. She gets really close to the bowl and buries her head in it, almost as though she were looking down a well. Maybe she’s afraid Perpetua will steal her food, even though they don’t share a cage? Kind of like Salana’s Jackie, going into his hidey house so he won’t be rained on indoors.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I am so proud of Pandora. The other night I was watching TV and they played an EAS test. Pandora reacted right away. Didn't see any reaction from Perpetua.

Sorry, that's just the broadcast geek in me...

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:11 pm

Good for Pandora. Such a sweet girl.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Thank you, Bug's Mom, she is.

I feel so sorry for her having been neglected so much while Pippin was sick. She did great when he died, although she did look a little scared and confused at first.

Honestly, she and Perpetua aren't that much interested in each other, but I probably will continue to house them in adjoining cages for space's sake.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:21 pm

At least it's a kind of company for each of them and as long as they're happy, that's what counts.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Oh, yeah, the seem to enjoy each other's company. It's kind of like watching to humans talking over a back fence.

Even having another pig to hear/smell/talk to makes a big difference.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 pm

I'm glad they're enjoying each other. It really does make a huge difference. I couldn't believe the difference in Ling Ling when we got Otto for her.

Don't be hard on yourself, Pippin needed you. These little ones require so much attention when they're sick.