Ear tags

luke n lando

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 am

Hi GLers I need some advice/proc/cons on ear tags

I picked up 3 precious boys from a rescue and one of them has an ear tag. The rescue told me it was a show pig (everything I am reading says breeders tag their pigs though). Anyway my question is should I remove the tag or leave it be.

The 3 boys I got get alone well together. There have been a few squabbles but nothing major and when they were introduced to my other 2 boys again a bit of teeth chatter some humping and who has their nose higher but the intros went well. I am afraid of him getting into a tiff and it getting ripped out. If I remove the tag though then there is a big hole there, which if he gets caught could also get ripped.

This pig is from a group of 89 pigs that were taken from a home, I am leaning more towards breeder for the tag in this case and it makes me sad to see it in his ear. I want to do what is best for him so any input would be much appreciated Leave it, remove it?

Suisan

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:26 am

My vote would be to remove it, but you need to be *very* careful in getting it off. I wouldn't attempt it unless I had very sharp wire cutters with a small enough head to allow me to get right AT the ear tag without pulling at it.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 am

Yes, I agree to remove it. However, if you're unable to find the right tools and position to remove it at home, please see a vet for help. You don't want to rip the ear.

Guineadaddy

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:02 pm

I have a little girl , Chai, that has a tag also. I have debated removing it several times, the vet said either way it does not hurt her. I look at as her badge of honor, she is a surviver.

Suisan

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Well, once your ear is pieced for earrings and the piercing is healed, then it doesn't hurt humans either. However, it bothers ME to see the breeders tag. Beyond that, having the hole in the ear flap is not as dangerous as having a apiece of metal that can be yanked through the ear flap. One of my sows likes to grab my ring in her teeth. I imagine she would be just as happy to yank on another guinea pig's breeder tag.

But I agree that just having the tag in there is not bothering the pig right now. I do still think it's dangerous while the pig is housed with other pigs, as they all should be.

luke n lando

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Guineadaddy - that is a wonderful way to look at it, that never occured to me. A survivor, my little Remington is definetly that.

Suisan - it bothers me too seeing it there and that was one reason I wanted to remove it, it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He lets me look at it and touch it with no problems.

rshevin - I would take him to the vet and have them do it, I am too afraid I would hurt him to attempt it on my own. What if he got starttled when I clipped it and that torn his ear. I would feel just awful

Thank you for the input

1sttimepiggie

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:09 pm

I agree with Suisan...the ear tag does seem more dangerous than a hole. But as Rshevin said, you might need vet assistance removing.whatever you do just be careful.Best of Luck!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Edward and Jacob had ear tags. Look at the place where the tag is in the flesh of the ear. If you just see metal tabs, you can remove it yourself with no tools needed. If you see hooks or latches of any kind- you need the vet and tools.

I got the ear tags out by having some one wrap the pig in a towel and then I put fingernails under each side and gently pulled. The metal bends (or unbends) easily, and the tabs that were holding the tag in the ear slide out easily. The boys still have their holes!

The tags need to come out- other pigs will try to groom them out or they will eventually get caught on some bit of fleece in your cage.

They are breeder tags. Pigs cannot be shown without a tag and number in the US. So people who tag pigs either can't keep track of who is who OR they are showing. Usually, it's both.

If you are nervous, go to the vet. The pigs should have a well check anyhow.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:55 pm

I think you have a good plan. While they're usually able to be removed at home, if you're uncomfortable might as well ask they vet. He probably needs a check up anyway since he's new and from a dubious background.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I would be inclined to have the vet do it. Maybe I'm just being over cautious, but I had a metal band removed from my bird's leg by someone who had a 'tool' specifically for that purpose. Things didn't go well and my bird was injured.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:23 pm

We had a pig who had an ear tag. I had Graham's tag removed for the very reasons everyone has said: so it wouldn't get torn out accidentally.

We had the vet remove it and it still wasn't an easy thing. But I felt much better having her do it at the vet hospital than me try at home. At least if Graham had been injured, he was in the right place to receive prompt treatment!

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:34 am

I just had to remove one from my sisters new girl Ellen. She was a show pig and my sister and I were just torn up that she had to wear this shackle of her former past. My hsuband took thin wire snips and a pair of forcepts while I held her. She was great about it and in no time it was out. A little iodine and now she is good as new! I'm sure a vet can help if you are too nervous.