Soft poop-please help

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:10 am

My newest rescue (got her Friday) had soft poop on Monday. She may have had it since we got her but I changed to fleece on Monday and it was very noticable. Took her to the vet and he took her temp, listened to her chest and did a fecal smear. He did not see anything but put her on albon as a precaution since diarrhea is not a good thing for pigs.

I have given her the poop from one of my healthy pigs and cut back on veggies. She is eating and drinking but she still has soft smelly poop. How long should it take to see results from the albon?

Please help...I love her so much already and am frantic.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 am

You'll only see results from the Albon if she has coccidia - which is a possibility. If I recall correctly it will take a couple of weeks for you to see if the Albon is working.

I'd remove all veggies for 48 hours and see if that helps - she may not be used to veggies.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 am

So she will be ok without veggies? I gave her some bell pepper with some acidophilus this morning. Should I get some bene-bac? I am sorry for all the questions. I am new to pigs. Should I switch her to bactrim? My vet will do anything for me if I ask.
I am worried she will go downhill and die if I don't stop this right away.

nonamian_girl

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 am

One of my pigs was having a similar issue recently. I gave her the poop of my other pig for a couple days because she had recently had an antibiotic given to her. The problem cleared up eventually, we think what actually caused it was lettuce we bought from a different store than we normally go to. It must have had some kind of pesticide that she was sensitive to.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:15 pm

If she has intestinal issues, the albon is better.

If she has an infection, the bactrim is better. It's not usually an issue like baytril can be on their digestive tract.

You can get plain vit c and supplement in the meantime.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 pm

I just brought another sample to the vet. So, unless it comes back negative again we will know for sure. Otherwise, how do you know if it is intestinal or bacterial??? Are there other clues?

She is eating and drinking but I am a wreck and can not manage a bite of food for me!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:28 pm

It's good she is eating and drinking. Soft poops are not as worrisome as true diahrrea.

Fecal samples are not always conclusive. It can take several tests to show anything.

Where did you get this pig?

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:34 pm

I got her at a rescue in Southern CA. I got all of my pigs there. They get them from shelters, quarantine for 3 weeks, treat for mites and then adopt them out. We got one after he was neutered too..

Another forum I was on yesterday (that led me to this one) told me to give her acidophilus bifidus. So I did. Then someone else said that the dextrose in it is harmful. Do you know anything about that?

I do give her poop soup...but she spits it out. Loves the albon though.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:42 pm

I don't think the dextrose will hurt your pig, but the poop soup is better. I mix mine in a teaspoon of prepared critical care or veggie baby food and feed it that way. My girls suck it right down.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:53 pm

I want to thank everyone for the help. The other site was correct to lead me here for support.
I am a 39 year old mother of 2 and have lots of lovely rescued pets (dogs, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils) but these are my first piggies. So I am am so sorry if I sound ignorant by asking so many questions.
I just want to ensure Sierra's health and happiness. I can't believe at my age that I am so sick with worry about this piggy! They sure get into your heart quickly...I have only had her 5 days!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:59 pm

The acidophiloius powder is fine. Dextrose is in most foods.

undervenued

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:36 pm

It's amazing how quickly we get attached to them, isnt it?