Soft poop-please help

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Believe me, none of us was born knowing even the little we do. We all had to ask questions and that's great. Welcome and good luck with your little one.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Sierra just came out of her pigloo to eat some pellets and hay. There was some poop that is not yet normal but looked better. :)

I know that our boar is concerned for her. He wheeked like crazy when I removed her from the cage. We have one neutered boar with two sows and they all get along well but Cassanova likes Sierra a bit more than Guinness...so he was upset. I comforted him and told him I would feed her his poo...HA HA!

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Spoke too soon...back to mushy...vet called with negative results on 2nd fecal. What is going on? She has been on albon for 48 hours now. I am very worried.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 pm

We're dealing with soft poops in our rescue from last June. The vet did a fecal float (?) which was negative, gave her a motility drug which didn't help, then a probiotic which didn't help.

All this time we're not supposed to give her any fruits or veggies - just pellets and mainly hay. ANd a vitamin C pill.

Sometimes she seems better but it doesn't last. We haven't figured it out yet, but I wanted to let you know what our vet's tried. Now she's waiting to see if the restricted diet will eventually help.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:13 am

Coccidia is pretty hard to catch on a fecal. Usually you have to do tests 3 days running on the poop, and even then it might be missed.

nonamian_girl

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 am

Did you hold back her veggies?

I'm really curious as to what it could be as my pig had the exact same problem, they would get better and then worse. However now they're back to being perfectly normal and I really do think it was just the lettuce.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 am

Yes, I did stop veggies except for a piece of red bell yesterday.
Today I gave her albon and then 2 hours later "poop soup" with a vit c mixed in.
She is wheeking like mad every time she hear a plastic bag...she misses her veggies...how long can they go without them?

JoePig

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Until she poops correctly for 24 hours.

She will live without veggies. It just isn't as much fun.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:37 pm

We have normal poop! She is also active, playful and curious.

I am almost afraid to announce it because I fear it will return to mush. She has now had 3 normal movements. They are lighter in color but oval shaped.

It seems like she responded to the poop soup, compliments of her boyfriend. I am giving it 2 hours after albon mixed with vit C. Can I give it to her mid day also...or is that over kill?

Also, any advice on veggie reintroduction is appreciated.
Thank you all!

Also, a funny story...my 4 year old son came out at 7am and saw me giving the poop soup. He said, "Mom, is that poopy?" I said yes and explained why I was doing it. He put his hands over his eyes and said, "I totally can not watch this." :)

sammianne

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm glad she's feeling better right now. I have my fingers crossed that she keeps it up.

That's funny about your son. Thanks for the laugh. I needed that. ;-)

JoePig

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Honestly, wait until her stomach has settled. I would wait a couple days before bringing in a veggie.

Who knows what junk still has to work it's way through? Plus, she is still eating her own poops, possibly reintroducing the issue back into her system.

If you still have fresh green grass in your area? Stuff that you know is good (No pesticides or herbicides, the local dogs don't go on it, etc.), give her that first.

Or get her that wheatgrass they sell for cats. Think if you do a search on "wheatgrass" you will see some people here grow little pots of it for there herds.

Other than that? SMALL AMOUNTS and then watch the, uh, results. I don't care if she complains or learns how to chuck her food dish.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:01 pm

We have grass in our yard, and I am suspicious if that is where this originated. I let them out on Saturday in a pen to graze. Our dogs go out there, and our rabbits explore it too but I put the pigs in a separate area. However, we do have stray cats in the area...they could bring disease.

Pigs will now have to play indoors...

I can get wheatgrass for her at our local Henry's.