Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Twofinepigs, thanks for that link. The limestone, as that link points out, may not even be a problem, but it's the only consistent factor between all of the pigs is that they have been eating Oxbow - and that our first two pigs didn't develop any signs of stones until after we switched from crappy food TO Oxbow. So we're going to give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

It might not.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:19 pm

I think it's at least worth looking at. The more things we can rule out, the closer we might come to finding some answers.

Of the dozen or so pellet brands I've been looking at so far, only Oxbow, Sweet Meadow Farms (which has almost identical ingredients and nutritional values as Oxbow pellets), Hartz/LM and Monster Guinea Pig Diet by Zeigler have Limestone as an ingredient. Some of the brands NOT containing Limestone are Kleenmama, Mazuri, Kaytee and American Pet Diner.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:39 pm

It could also be an issue depending on other things, like water. Maybe it isn't a problem to give pellets with limestone if you have water with an appropriate level of phosphorous?

I don't know. I'm just guessing.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:55 pm

I checked the DHL web site to see when the pellets were supposed to arrive, and it said they were sitting on my porch. So I shuffled downstairs and out the front door and there they were.

We decided to try something different - we gave them the pellets during non-pellet time so there wouldn't be any expectation of what they should taste like, and hallelujah, all four piggies dived into their pellet bowls!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Hooray!

Yeah, it could be some funky combo of factors. Who knows if it's even the Limestone. Or if it's the Limestone and something else -- higher sodium content in the pellet, for example. Or genetics + Limestone + water.

That's what makes all of this so incredibly frustrating. :(

TWP_2

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Henry is gaining back weight from his post-surgical low, but we haven't been weighing him formally for a while due to the stress of handling him.

He has been visibly and by feel (when petting) gaining weight, and looks much better. We weighed him today and he is at a little over 1 lb 15 oz --which is down from his "normal" pre-stone 2 lb 5oz to 2 lb 8oz weight.

Now that his incision site is healing up nicely, we are more comfortable handling him and we'll keep watch on his weight. He still eats like he's starving--but then he has a lot of body mass to build back up. I'm hoping he'll level out at about 2 lb 4oz, which seems like a reasonably healthy weight for him.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Henry wants everyone to know he's feeling better, even if he is still a little skinny:

The incision site looks good, though the glue is peeling off. We put a little Vaseline on the site to keep it supple.

We've noticed that over the past several months - before the stone - Henry's face has developed some darker spots. The dark patch on his left nostril is a little more prominent, and there is a dark patch tracing his upper lip on the left side. It isn't raised or impeding his facial movements; it's just a pigment change the same color as his other "freckles." Is this normal?

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:14 pm

Looking good, Henry! You're such an inspiration, I tell my pigs about you all the time.

No ideas on the pigment change, sorry.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Henry looks fantastic. What great news.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Henry looks great. Do you think maybe his hair has thinned out with age and so the dark spots are more noticeable?

ChocolatePiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm glad to hear Henry is feeling better, he looks like it! Hoping he gains back some of that weight he lost during his surgery also, we don't want him getting too skinny.
:3

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:44 pm

I am so happy Henry is better.