Soft poop-please help

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Our vet said you should hear gut sounds. That's healthy.

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:29 pm

thanks! I hope jumping the gun and giving her simethicone was ok...I panicked...

nonamian_girl

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:58 pm

When Georgia was having her issues, I could hear gas sounds too, it was strange, but the vet said that as long as things are moving through, you're okay.

I didn't see Georgia eat her droppings for a while, but then she started to again after I gave her the poop soup doses, so I assumed that seeing that means she's getting better!

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 pm

thanks so much! more poop soup for Sierra!

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:53 pm

ok, she had very normal poops for 24 hours so I reintroduced a small amount of parsley and green leaf lettuce. She has mushy greenish poops now...lots of them...should I go longer without veggies?

Is it possible that a piggy can not have veggies at all????

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Some pigs cannot tolerate veggies or only tolerate certain ones.

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:15 am

What do you suggest?

Here are my thoughts...give poop soup with vitamin C for 4-5 days and then try again...but which veggie to try???

Poor baby cries every time I open the fridge...

Maybe I'll get ger a timothy block for a treat...are those ok?

JoePig

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 am

Just so you know, a lot of those "timothy blocks" mix in alfalfa. (I do not know if you are trying to keep tabs on how much calcium your pig is getting.)

Just a question, what kind of lettuce was it?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:29 am

Really JoePig? Do you know of any brands off the top of your head that that do this (mix in alfalfa to the timothy block)? My boys get those hay blocks during floor and travel time and one of them is stone prone.

JoePig

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:43 am

Yes, rshevin. I was REALLY surprised too.
I remember green packaging. That does not help because there are 2 brands that use green packaging: one in a cardboard box and one in a plastic bag, and both contain alfalfa . BUT, it does say on the packaging that contains/is processed with alfalfa. (Which may also explains why my pigs ate that brand and would not even sniff Oxbow's timothy blox. Alfalfa is yummy.)

rshevin, I will have to credit someone else on this board for pointing this out to me. I am sorry, but I do not remember who it was.

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Hey JoePig, She had some green leaf and a few sprigs of italian parsley.

If she gets no veggies do I have to watch calcium in her hay block?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:33 pm

The green packing in a plastic bag is Kaytee and the cardboard box is Brown's. I fed both, past tense. No longer! Now though, I have nothing to feed with low mess during floor/travel time. I'm very, very glad to know though, since I have a stone pig. I'll check the package closely though.

Here is a direct link showing how right you are:
http://www.kaytee.com/products/timothy-cubes.php

As for worrying about calcium without veggies, yes I still would because it's the calcium:phosphorus ratio that's so critical, not absolute amount.