GUINEA PIG WITH SPINAL INJURY...CAN YOU HELP

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48 am

Big huge ditto to PigHerder's comments. Thank you for caring and doing the right thing.

lainier

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:36 am

Hi All,
I have noticed that Dudley is getting very wet on his belly overnight. I was so burnt out, I slept for seven hours and woke at about six thirty to change his pads. His belly is very wet and smelly. I presently have him on a bottom layer of fleece, then two strips of towel and topped off with a strip of fleece. Is there a better way to do this so that he doesn't get so wet. I worry because I cannot clean his stomach area as he hates to be moved.
Is there some other kind of absorbent material that would allow the skin/body to breathe more so than what I am using and also keep him dry at the same time. I really don't want him to get urine scald or infection due to bacterial build up.
I have my own health issues and just don't seem to be able to keep up with waking up every few hours at night.
Thanks again.
PigHerder, I was wondering, where you able to clean Timmay and Benjamin's bellies?
p.s I have considered using diapers but cannot due to the plastic covers as he would chew it.

PigHerder

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Is Dudley eating and drinking on his own? If yes, then you don't have to wake up over night. I understand how incredibly draining and madness-inducing getting up in the night can be.

No, I did not clean benjamin's belly when he was ill. Or Timmay's, but I was more concerned about moving Benjamin, because I was worried I would cause additional injury to his broken back.

I changed his cage only when I had to clean his butt (2-3 times a day). The fleece was folded so it was multiple layers (since he didn't move anyways). I did wish at the time that I had berber fleece - it is thicker and thus provides more of a barrier, but it is more expensive and who has the time when you've got a piggie so ill.

I may have also layered the towels and fleece in such a way so that I had only to remove the top fleece and towel, so change was very quick and easy.

Don't worry about stinky, we only care if he gets actual urine scald and Benjamin never did when he was ill. Sadly, toward the end of his life he did, because I did not realize how very ill he was until it was too late. He was never very mobile in the first place and not moving was the only sign of pain he showed with his kidney cancer.

I know you want to do right by Dudley, but it's ok for you to take care of yourself, as long as it's not sacrificing his life by doing it (ie: lack of food and water during the night may kill him, but not changing his cage won't).

Really, it's been a few days now and you only need to restrict for about two weeks. After one week he may start to feel better and may thus move a little more. Any broken bones will have done their initial knitting stage by then and while he may still hurt, it should be better. If his level of pain doesn't get better, then it's time to do a follow up with the vet and possibly get better pain meds.

When I restricted movement, there was still room to move - I partitioned a cage so it ended up being about 30"x15". Ben could move if he wanted to, but for the first week chose not to. It's ok for him to move some, you just don't want the guy running laps or having to walk far to get food and drink. I suspect you may be over-worrying yourself about it. Yes, the stinky belly fur is gross. That's ok, you'll give him a very gentle bath in two weeks. Just keep changing him 2-3 times a day and you will be a-ok. I suspect twice is probably fine. You are doing everything right. Dudley won't get better faster if you change 6 times a day instead of 2. ;)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:52 pm

I personally have had better luck with towels than with fleece.

Ditto to everything PigHerder has said.

"I presently have him on a bottom layer of fleece, then two strips of towel and topped off with a strip of fleece."

If it were me I'd change this to a bottom layer of fleece, then two or three strips of towel and stop there. Change the top towel only 2-3 times a day, and the entire set as needed.

Towels get damp but they seem to stay warm and don't cause the dampness, odor or gunk buildup fleece can. In my experience, anyway -- there are plenty of folks on this board who use fleece very successfully and would say their experiences are the exact reverse of mine. But if it were me, I'd try the towels, or perhaps a couple layers of towels over kiln-dried pine or CareFresh -- and see if it doesn't help make you feel a little better about how he looks and smells.

lainier

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:27 am

Thanks guys for your concern for Dudley and me and also for all of the great info and tips. We really appreciate it! It is so wonderful to be able to come to this forum and talk to such caring guinea pig lovers.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:20 am

If nothing else, the folks on here keep you from feeling you're all alone : )

lainier

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:34 pm

Talishan, thanks for the towel tip. I tried this over night. Cut up a nice thick towel and lay him on a layer of fleece topped with two layers of towel. He seems very comfy and I think he was less sweaty and smelly this morning. I guess the cotton towel breathes better than fleece.
I'll keep you posted as to his progress.
Something else which is rather unpleasant but important for anyone with a sick male guinea. Everyday, he gets a plug of hard mucus in his urethra. I have seen this before with sick male piggies in the past. I am uncertain as to whether this is just normal secretion build up (as he can't reach around and clean himself) or a result of the medication he is on. Anyway, I remove it very gently after wiping him with a warm wet cloth. I could see how (if not removed) it could cause bladder troubles.
That's all for now.

PigHerder

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:39 pm

I could be mistaken, but I think I recall cleaning Benjamin in a similar manner when he was ill.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:46 pm

Yup. It may be a plug of seminal fluid. Males will sometimes discharge this normally, but also sometimes discharge more of it, or discharge it if they haven't before, when they are injured or ill.

Removing it gently and cleaning him is the best thing to do. I'm not sure it will necessarily cause a bladder infection, but it sure won't be comfortable for him.

It likely smells like 500 holy hell. Don't let that worry you; that's normal.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:25 pm

I agree it's most likely a seminal plug. My Piggy had them when he was ill and sometimes when he's been napping deeply. We often have people come panicked that their pig has "worms" in the penis when it's this. I don't find it generates any unusual foul smell (although I don't sniff them). An intact male will generate semen throughout his lifetime and it needs to be expelled and replaced on occasion. This isn't unusual.

PigHerder

Post   » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:22 pm

So you gotta tell us, how is Dudley doing?

skdick

Post   » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm going through this right now with our Casper (see skin breakdown link..) but he seems to have his feet working for him. He's just sitting in his waste and I know what smell you are all talking about. He's enjoying the baths and the hairdryer and the attention, but I am still worried.
Thinking of you!