My adventures in Pigdom

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:31 pm

I got my first guinea pig in high school. Her name was "Squeekers". I knew nothing about the care and feeding of Guinea pigs. A lady my step mom worked with had a pig who had babies they (my dad and step mom) picked out Sqeekers and there ya go. She was kept in an aquarium, pine bedding, gp pellet and some veggies. She lived to be 1 1/2. Yes I was one of the ignorant children of ignorant parents who think that getting a cute pet is nice, with little or no reserch.

I think I may have redeemed myself. After I got married and had two children, a teacher at the school I worked at was pregnant and was looking for a home for her class pig "Albert". Albert lived to be nine years old. Grey hair and all. He died because he was "tired"- "lived a long life" the vet said.

My children were so heart broken. My daughter knew what happened (5 years old) and cried right away. My son (4) cried when he found out Albert had to leave his room. You see, for as long as my son remembered, he always had Albert.

That's how we adopted Oscar and Felix (we named them the names we my husband and I could not agree on for my son- Felix was my grand fathers name and Oscar was a name my huband liked; Honestly - it wasn't until a month later that someone pointed out the "odd Couple" that we realized they were named after the odd couple)

Oscar died at a year old from a respitory infection (cedar shavings). Felix is now 3 and a half and has "Alex" as a buddy. My pigs are in a 36in. x 29 in. cage, with toys, floor time, carefree bedding, pleanty of fresh veggies and fruit and I have read dozens of book an piggie care as well as regular vet visits.

Side note... when Oscar was sick, my son drew a picture for Oscar to keep him company because we could not keep him with Felix and when Oscar died, the picture was buried with him.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:35 pm

That's a very nice story...and welcome to GL.

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:46 pm

You are an excellent pig mama! So sad and sweet about burying your guy with the picture.

Seansfamily

Post   » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:35 pm

Awwww, your son sounds so sweet. He must make your heart feel just as though it is going burst sometimes, huh?

Welcome to you and to all of your family--your daughter, Felix and Alex, too!

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:50 pm

There is a new addition to our family today. Buttercup needed a good home. He is a crested 4 month old. He LOVES to snuggle!

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:44 pm

On July 14th, Alex had to be put down. We never knew his correct age. He was an SPCA adopt and he was overfed, underheld, and ungroomed. In the four months he lived with us he became a healthy, active character in our family.

On July 14th, I had to take Alex to the vet. He was in pain. He had an obstuction in his urethra (bladder stone) that was lodged and prevented him from peeing. His bladder was stretched to the limit and beginning to deteriate (this seems like it all happened in a day). We had him put to rest, even the vet cried.

On August 2nd, Thanks to SusieQ and Mittens, we have three new additions. Mickey, Neville, and Lance. Neville is certainly the loudest of the bunch. Lance is our escape artist. One day my daughter was holding him and he jumped from her arm to the potted plant (she was sitting on the floor next to it), from the plant to the floor and a search that required closet cleaning ensued. He is by far the hardest pig to catch come floor time.

No offense to you Susie, but my husband is absolutely paranoid that one of them is a girl. He said he had a dream the day before we picked them up that one of them had babies. I think his real fear comes from hoping I do not become a rescue because, with the 4H club, he sees the potential.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:05 pm

Some days are just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ain't it true?

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:18 pm

Well, I triple checked everyone- but since you've got them now you can either check yourself or have them sexed by a vet. I'm sure there isn't any problems that way.

I'm glad to hear they seem to be settling in well!

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:36 am

It was just my husband being silly. Though I did show him the boys *ahem* to prove to him they were boys.