Jasper - Ate tape

PrayerWarrior

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:18 pm

He ate five 1/2" strips of tape. What do I do???

rshevin

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:39 pm

#1 Make sure he never has access to tape again. For whatever reason, cavies LOVE tape.

#2 Feed plenty of hay and watch output like a hawk. At the first some of abdominal changes or abnormal poop, take him to the vet.

I'm not sure there's too much that can be done at this juncture.

PrayerWarrior

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:58 pm

I gave him extra lettuce and drenched it in water. I'll be watching, believe me.

Thanks rshevin.

everly_dawn

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:01 pm

I don't know that I'd wait. By the time digestion is compromised, I'd think that would be awfully late. I'd also be worried the sticky part of the tape could be toxic. What type of tape was it?

PrayerWarrior

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Scotch tape.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:11 pm

The only thing is you can't induce vomiting in a guinea pig and you can't really scope them to bring up whatever they swallowed. I'm not saying this is a no danger situation, and if you'd like to visit/call the vet it's certainly not a bad idea. Perhaps you will get additional information throughout the evening.

PrayerWarrior

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 pm

I would love to call the vet, but they're closed on weekends.

Right now, his poops are fine, and I don't know when he ate the tape. Sometime today. I'll continue watching him.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Oh yeah, if you're in No. CA (looking at your profile) you're still in normal vet business hours too. Isn't the digestive process of a guinea pig something ridiculous? I mean it takes a lot of hours for it to pass, much longer than you'd anticipate. It might be good to set up a plan with your vet now.

Edit: oh right, it's Sunday.

everly_dawn

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Scotch tape probably has less chance of toxicity than say duct tape, masking tape or something like that. But, yeah, I'd watch closely tonight and call the vet to leave a message saying you'll be in early morning Monday.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Not that I'm saying it's an okay thing to have happen, but I've had pigs eat both scotch tape and masking tape (ripped it off the bottom of the cage, when I had joined two C&C cages together to make one large one), and they were fine. That was 2-3 years ago.

As others have said, just keep an eye on him and make sure he has plenty of hay and water.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:51 pm

I think all of us have learned at some point that pigs have an unusual fascination with tape. It's rather uncanny how they seek it out to eat.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:08 pm

And yet they'll turn their little noses up at zucchini. Go figure.