Jasper - Ate tape

Christine

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:41 pm

I had no idea that guinea pigs like to eat tape.
I am glad to have found this out though...mental note: NO tape in GP cages.

I hope your Jasper is ok, Prayerwarrior.

PrayerWarrior

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 pm

I've been checking on them every fifteen to twenty minutes, and so far, most the veggies from dinner are gone, and I gave them extra hay piles. Jasper hasn't pooped yet, which worries me a little, but he doesn't poop as often as the others on a regular basis. I'll continue to watch him though for sure.

*big sigh* You guys have put me at ease that they aren't going to drop over dead on me, so thank you. I'm such an idiot, and they will never be within the vicinity of tape again.

I'll let you know how things are in the morning.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Thinking good thoughts for him.

Also, make sure he gets plenty of water. You might try squirting a little extra into his mouth just to make sure.

Do you have Critical Care? That has lots of fibre and other stuff to help him "go" and make the stuff come out better.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:18 pm

Sending good thoughts for Jasper.

It can take up to 30 hours for things to pass through a guinea pig's system.
Gastric Transit Time:
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html#summary

One of my girls nibbled on the thin plastic coating on an incontinence pad once. I really REALLY pushed the hay, for fiber, that day and the next. She was fine, and I never used those pads in the cage again after that.

paulammoore

Post   » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Hopefully this helps - when my girls ate parts of a plastic garbage bag, my vet told me that by the time I had taken them in the next day, the danger had passed (they were still pooping normally) ... So hopefully if he's still going tomorrow and by the time you get him to the vet, you can be reasonably sure he's ok.

Thinking good thoughts for Jasper, PW.

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Yes, how is he today?

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't know what the sticky goo is on tape nowadays...early in its history, cellophane or Scotch tape used to use a cellulose-based adhesive, which I bet a pig would find tasty. I have no idea what they use now but it is probably some plant based gum or goo.

Probably won't hurt pig in a small taste but be really careful of the reinforced tapes - they have fiberglass or other filaments in them which I bet could wreck havoc with a piggy gut.