Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

rpaws

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:27 pm

When I was at BJS I saw they were now carrying storage cubes - a box of 6 for about $15. I'll return later this week and check and see how many squares they have though.

rpaws

Post   » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:07 am

Checked. The grids are 9 across, made by 'Mod.' Package of 6 cubes is $14.90. Come in white, black, and gray.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Close Call With OLD STYLE GRID

We just had a very close call with the old style grid. Something didn't sound right and I went into our piggy room. A young female, who is 520 grams, had her head stuck in one of the grids of the hayrack. We make the hayracks out of the 9x9 grids. I would have thought she was big enough to not be in danger, but apparently not.

Luckily my son was home who helped me cut the grid off of her. She is thankfully ok but my heart is still pounding fast.

Has anyone figured out the approximate weight cutoff for when the old style grids are safe?

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Oh scary! Good thing you had help to get her out and she is OK.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 pm

So what weight should a guinea pig be to be considered safe around the grids that have 9 holes across? 520 grams is now too small to me.

It would be nice to be able to tell adopters that when a guinea pig reaches
x
grams that it is safe to use these grids either as part of the cage or as a hayrack.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm

My small boar is roughly 950g and I am comfortable with him. Estimating downward, perhaps 700?

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 am

Just FYI for anyone looking, ecspecially in BC (maybe other wal marts too), I was at my wal mart yesterday and they had the 9x9 grids in white, made by rubbermaid down the isle with all the do it yourself shelving, shoe racks, and ironing boards area.

Goodonebales

Post   » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Another FYI, I just found a few boxes at Bed, Bath and Beyond . There were about 4-5 left of the 9x9 grids.

Edit: It would help if you knew which Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The one in Niles, near Chicago, on Touhy. So if anyone's in the area, check it out, and if not, I'm guessing other BB&Bs have it.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:01 pm

I found a box of 9x9 grids last night- I needed more for a playpen. Anyways they charged me $28.99 for ONE box. Home Hardware is a rip off, but they do have the 9x9.

papiggieluverz

Post   » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:46 pm

We traveled about an hour away the other night for an adoption, and raided the local Target, found 3 boxes of the blue 9x9 grids on sale for 17.99 We were very happy!

It's always lucky when you come across the old grids.

Sonaa

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:47 am

I haven't found them at costco. This is bad news... Darn...

SittenSpynne

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:38 am

I'm looking for a consolidated source of information; I'm not good at reading 5 pages. Have we found a source of "good" grids yet? Are they available online? In stores?