Skinny Pig Data and T-4 count

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:27 am

Update/correction: Unlike the hairless dog, Skinnies need two copies of the hairless gene to be hairless, so that's not the cause of these problems. However, the hairless gene for Skinnies can remutate if not balanced with a wild-type/normal gene causing varying degrees of health problems and or short life span.

According to my vet genetic testing is not available to the public for guinea pigs.

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I lost one of my skinnies, Tanuki, a few days ago.

I adopted him in May 2006, he was supposedly a year old at that point, but thats not confirmed. His colouring was tortie I guess, but he was mostly black.

Unsure of what happened exactly, I noticed late at night he was regurgitating food. He seemed to want to eat but he would chew it up and a few minutes later it would come out like vomit. Searched for what was happening on the forums here and it seemed like every pig who had those symptoms passed fairly soon and there were no real answers as to why. Anyway, of course I called the emergency vet but they didn't think they could help. His ordinary vet opens at 7:30am but he didn't make it. I didn't get a necropsy or anything done, so I don't know if this is helpful at all.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Every entry on this thread is another piece of the puzzle and is helpful. Others who have had their Skinnies pass from mystery illnesses have had necropsies done with no findings. So don't feel bad about that.

fairysari, I'm so sorry you lost Tanuki.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:27 pm

I'm so sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 pm

A necropsy might have told you a lot. My guinea pig that showed the same symptoms had an internal tumor that had spread.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Pinta, I have a couple of questions regarding your Skinnies that had symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Did their skin darken? Did Tapazole help them?

Charybdis

Post   » Tue May 12, 2009 4:02 am

I was wondering where to post this information, for those interested....

Boots, our oldest and last Skinny, passed away a few days ago. He was over 6 years old. I had a gross necropsy done mostly out of curiosity since blood tests before he passed showed nothing besides slight inflammation, and he had become quite thin and weak -- he was ravenous, ate constantly, yet continued to lose weight.

The vet doing the necropsy said the adrenal glands were enlarged, kidneys were 'not smooth' and liver was slightly darker than normal. Heart and lungs were normal and there were no tumors or evidence of cancer/metastasis.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sat May 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Foremole, Skinny boar
October 11, 2006 - May 22, 2009
Euthanized due to large bladder stone near urethra, preventing bladder from emptying. He was in terrible pain from the distended bladder and only being able to pass dribbles of urine.

It has been a difficult week in many ways, but yesterday was the worst. He is the first of my Skinnies to pass away, leaving his cagemate Mordred a bit freaked out.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat May 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm so terribly sorry mmercedesmom. Rest well adorable little Foremole.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat May 23, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm sorry.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun May 24, 2009 2:00 am

I'm sorry :(

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun May 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks everyone, it still hardly seems real until I look in his cage and see just Mordred. He is very subdued too, and I plan to try intros with another boar today, wish us luck.