My story

ILuvBobbyNXander

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:29 pm

I figured I should probably introduce myself. My name is Susan. I'm new to this forum and also new to Guinea pigs. My first pig started out with just a pet sitting job. My sister is in the first few months of her pregnancy and with all the nausea she was having trouble cleaning up after him. He's a 6 mth old male mostly black with whit on his nose and some brown around his shoulders and front legs. His name was Slick. I had never really payed any attention to Guinea pigs before and didn't realize how cute and loving they are. I just fell in love with Slick. When I told my sister this, she said she had a friend that had two girls that if no one took them she would just drop them off in a field. How dreadful!! I said I would take them. So now I have two 3 mth old girls that I have named Arwen and Eowyn. My sister said I could have Slick because she didn't like him anyway(she bought him for her 3 yr. old son), so I changed his name to Aragorn. My husband at first didn't like the idea of three Guinea pigs, but as soon as he held them and they started "purring" he fell in love. Of course my sons, 4 yrs. and 2 yrs., fell in love immediatly. So now we are all one big happy family. I just can't believe I never realized before what great pets they are!

Thanks for listening(um..er..reading).
I know I probably bored most of you to death.

ILuvBobbyNXander

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:44 pm

I forgot to describe my girls....
Arwen is mostly white with tan on one side of her rear and on one ear and around one eye. with short smooth hair.
Eowyn is mostly tan with white on her nose and one back leg. With short rough hair.
My boy, Aragorn is short smooth hair.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:07 pm

I'm glad you have found these guys. The names are very nice, of course. Is the male separated from the females? Some people will keep a pair of males and a pair of females so each has a companion. Others will neuter a male (though there can be risks).
(oh, I see on another thread that your intention is to neuter the boar. You might want to check over www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm -- good luck!)

Hope yours stay in good health and that you continue to enjoy them.

ILuvBobbyNXander

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:58 pm

Lynx,
Thank you for the advice. You said there are risks in nuetering. Do you advise against it? Do you think the risks are to great? I don't want to leave him in his cage alone, he seemed so excited when he realized he had neighbors.(and the girls equally excited to see him).

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:31 pm

There are always risks but if you do your homework and find a really experienced vet, you can minimize the risks. Read the link for how.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1