Soft poop-please help

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks for the input on this subject Lynx & Weaver.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:39 pm

Ok, a few questions:

Can yeast be found on an office fecal or does it need to be cultured?

If her office fecal was neg should I pay to send it out to check for yeast?

Can a pig die from yeast over growth?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:15 pm

I don't really know enough to give you good answers but I do not think a pig can die from a yeast overgrowth. But it is important to know what is causing it. The intestinal flora have changed somehow.

I also suspect yeast is common in the environment and is one of the things that can get out of control. Think about humans and how women can develop yeast infections after being on antibiotics. Their intestinal flora is disrupted and the yeast overgrows.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks Lynx!

here is why I asked...the fecals came back neg but we are treating for possible coccidia because it is common, hard to find and can kill a pig.

However, Sierra has had this problem on and off since I got her from the rescue on Oct 17th. So, my thought is...if it was something serious wouldn't she be getting worse, or perhaps died already rather than soft poops? She still eats, drinks and begs for veggies...

My vet said that he did not see anything on the fecal so the next step is to send it out to see if it grows something. He does not want me to pay a lot of money for tests right now and said if the albon and falgyl did not do the trick he would consider a course of nystatin next. He thinks she just does not look that sick and her poops are not true diarrhea...

He is a freind so he always tries to save me money where he can...he also never charges me an office visit, just meds a labs etc.

Does this sound like possible yeast and does this sound like a good plan of action?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:01 pm

This is how some vets work -- they look at what is likely and treat for that, often because it takes too long for diagnostics to be done. Ideally you have a firm diagnosis but not always.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 pm

it was something serious wouldn't she be getting worse, or perhaps died already rather than soft poops?
No, Sidney lived with soft poop for a long time before she finally got to feeling better. We tried EVERYTHING and than kept having tests done. For some reason I am thinking I used another medicine as well and that is what totally kicked it for good. I will try and call the office tomorrow and see if they can look on her file for me.

I dealt with this over two years ago and I really am having a hard time to remember everything that we did and used. Unfortuntely with fourteen pigs I spend a lot of time at the vets and everything just seems to blend together and turns into mush in my brain.

Your piggie's symptoms though sound just like what Sidney had. I was so tired and just ready to give up and deal with it. I was so frustrated and nothing seemed to work. Her poo sometimes looked fine and I would get a sense of hope, and than I would go back in the room and check on her and her bum would be dirty and she would have poo stuck to her feet. I remember her having a weird smell, she stunk really. *sigh* I will give my vet a call in the morning and hopefully we can get your girl better, or at least give you another avenue to try.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:17 am

Oh thanks so much Weaver! I have only had this pig for a short while but adore her so already! I can not imagine how her owner dumped her at a shelter! She is so sweet!

I appreciate any info. Yes, I can tell when her bad poops are back because the room smells funny. I change the cage every 3 days right now.

I bought a bunch of fleece and was going to switch but the smell is so bad on the fleece I have to keep on shavings. She gets it on her feet but her bum stays clean enough...even though she is a white Peruvian!

Thank you again for trying to get info for me.

14 pigs huh? Wow! God Bless you!!! :)

GeepersCreepers

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks for the info Brenda, Ill keep reading this post and maybe we can help eachother if we find out anything!!
My vet has suggested prednisone (steroid) I havent yet tried it but think I will as running out of ideas, vet doesnt really know why but it did help another pig with diarrhea so giving it a go as desperate. V important shouldnt be given with any other nsaids e.g rimadyl.
Theres a link in guinealynx info if you did think about trying it too.

Atm cant really tell in flagyls working, looks like during night was v bad diarrhea and yet she made very normal looking formed poops when fed her Crit Care this morn......so similar to Sierra

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 am

I "think" prednisone is used if they have irritable bowel syndrome...

I left a post on your thread about "poop soup"...that could make a world of difference

So, today Sierra had 4 perfect poops...like nothing she has had in the 2 months I have had her...if she were not separated I would have thought they were Cassanova's!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:32 am

At least in humans, prednisone (or a corticosteroid) is given for inflamatory bowel disease because it's an autoimmune problem and the immune system needs to be suppressed somewhat. I don't know what's used for irritable bowel syndrome.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 pm

and now...back to mush... :(

Brenda B

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:29 am

and 12 hours later 8 perfect poops and a popcorn...

my mood goes up and down along with her bowel movements...I need a life!

Went to watch my daughter dance in the Nutcracker tonight and first thing when we get home...mommy runs to check on the pigs...then to the computer...

how did this happen to me???? :)